What's new

Forum Access Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

keyepitts

I've been unable to access the forum for the last week from my mac. I finally had to break down and boot into windows XP to be able to get in. I'm just posting this to let Alibre know (in case they don't) that the forums may still be having problems. I've tried Safari and Firefox in OS10.6.2 and both hang when tring to access this site. I've reset the browsers, emptied caches, etc. Is anyone else with a mac having issues? Interestingly, I also wasn't able to access the forum using Windows Internet Explorer in a virtual machine, I had to actually boot into XP natively. :cry:

rgyuka

You're not alone, since the forum went down last Saturday for maintenance, I've had long loading delays (especially the home page), pages not loading correctly and in most cases trying to view full size screen shots of examples ....only partially loads, then stops?

This is on a Win XP-SVCPak2, Latest Firefox & high speed cable, here in Ontario, Canada.

No such problems prior to last Saturday :roll:

edit: on attempting to preview, before posting it took a long time (8-10sec) to update. it's erratic as sometimes it is quick?

keyepitts

New Alibre company policy- "IT Employees will no longer be allowed to have water pistol fights in the server room". :mrgreen:

indesign

Alibre Super User
keyepitts said:
New Alibre company policy- "IT Employees will no longer be allowed to have water pistol fights in the server room". :mrgreen:

Maybe banning them from beer partys would help too. :lol:

The issue with the Mac sounds like there is a security update that has blocked something required for this site. I no longer have a Mac so maybe someone here could help out.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
A question to those who have issues.
Do you have your firewall in your office server?
I do, and I cannot access from my office anymore.

I can only access forum from home, with fair speed.

rgyuka

Hi Toshi,

I am at home with these problems, nothing has changed on my system and just in case I turned off my software firewall, (I do not use the wireless router firewall) and still have the same problem.
for one of the problems during login, I've attached an example of the screen shot; this is what I see for a few seconds (or some some cases a minute) :?:, before the site continues to load.

As mentioned, these problems all started a week ago when Alibre announced their system maintenance, not before. And I do not see any similiar behavior on other sites.

Attachments

• Forum-login-problem.JPG
    Forum-login-problem.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 91

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
When Alibre had their site down for maintenance there was a special notification screen that came up. Since then I was experiencing the same issues as you, slow connections , partial page loads, time-outs, etc. And to some degree I had the same issues with other web sites before Alibre updated their site.

I ran a complete virus scan, and I don't mean the little quick scan that some anti-virus programs run, this was a full system scan. I then ran a Ad-Aware to see what it could find. For both scans there was one or two issues that were found and taken care of. But the problem persisted. I finally called the internet provider to see if they had any system issues. When they tried to ping my cable modem they had some difficulty. So I replaced the modem and now all is better.

The only issue I see now is that the Bunkspeed site is apparently down.I get the "The connection was reset" page when I try to access their forum. :cry: :cry:

H.
v12

Ralf

Alibre Super User
HaroldL said:
The only issue I see now is that the Bunkspeed site is apparently down.I get the "The connection was reset" page when I try to access their forum. :cry: :cry:

H.
v12

Harold is`s online again.... :)

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
rgyuka said:
Hi Toshi,
I am at home with these problems, nothing has changed on my system and just in case I turned off my software firewall,
Hi, Rudy.
What about the OS and the browsers?
I got Vista Ultimate at home. (SP2, FF 3.5.5)
And the office one is XP professional.(SP3, FF 3.0x)

One thing I noticed is that I normally connect to the forum at your morning time till noon time zone.
I wonder if those are less busy time?

indesign

Alibre Super User
I wonder if Alibre upgraded the forum to catch some of those pesky spammers that have started back here. If they did then perhaps this has something to do with the security they have setup.

keyepitts

I think you might be on to something with the spammers angle, it definatly seems as if my IP address is being blocked when I'm using OS10. I'm able to access the forums using the same computer and just running Windows, both on my home and work networks. Still, the forum does load extremely slowly in Windows too. I'll have to break down and mess with some of my browser settings on the mac side and see if I can get it working, I was hoping someone from Alibre would come on here and give a simple explanation.

keyepitts

Quick Update- I am able to access the site from my Mac! Sort of anyhow. I just disabled all Java, Javascript, And Plugins, and then waited,.. and waited,.....and waited some more as the site slowly loaded. I think it is definitely something to do with Alibre, and my browser was just timing out before. I hope they get it smoothed out soon; I like to skim the forums once or twice a day and I haven't been able to for the last week or so. I need my fix.

domcm

Same problem here accessing the forum from my Mac using Safari. Had no problems before the website was upgraded. What's up?

By the way, I had to login to the Boot Camp partition on my Mac to type this using Internet Explorer. I really hate to access the internet using Windows. I've crossed my fingers and said a few prayers but my Boot Camp partition is probably now corrupted with hundreds of viruses and spyware apps. Thanks Alibre:)

Seppsche

Hi,
the problem with the slow forum speed exists longer than a week.
Until now there is no official statement about the possibility that can be caused due changes by Alibre.
The responsibles read the forum inwardly - as always. :roll:

Until last week the zooming of forum screenshot pictures was instantly ready, now i have to wait about 10 seconds.
Downloading of files last week was about about several 100 kBytes/s, nowadays a download drops with 10kByte/s onto my harddisk.
BTW, i just started downloading the big Alibre V12 Installation package - at reasonable speed of 200 kByte/s.
Therefore there is no doubt that it must be a problem in conjunction with the forum server or its connection speed. :twisted:

PLEASE tell us, if you know about performance problems in conjunction with the forum access speed.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Seeing problems here intermittently too. Images especially are very slow to download. Some times the forum is pretty responsive though.

memiles

Saw problems when I got back in town yesterday afternoon. Mac "No can do", Boot Mac w/Windows 7, "No Problem", HP w/Windows 7 "No Problem".

Mike. :?:

najeeb

Hi,

Please add me to the list. I can not access forum on my work computer and at home it is really slow!! :(

Najeeb

delboy

:Dposting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=10103#
I have had lots of problems trying to get into the forum. Have not been able to access the forum for the last two weeks. Phoned support in desperation, spoke to a very helpful support engineer ( Ryan) who advised that from their end the forum was working ok. Suddenly it is now working , like sort of. Still takes ages to fire up and at times do not get everything. Ryan suggested I contact my server supplier, I did, they could not find anything wrong. We have had one of the coldest winters in NZ, normally this time of year the sun shield is up and I am in shorts and tee shirts looking forward to the barbecue season at Christmas. Not this year I am still in Jumpers and long trousers and after hearing on the news that there are several large icebergs off the south coast of NZ. I can only conclude that the problems with the forum are the same as our not very nice spring. GLOBAL WARMING. Well, lets face it. They blame everything else on global warming, so I might as well give it a go as well.

Delboy

Status
Not open for further replies.