What's new

Forum Avatar

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
There is an option to upload an image from your computer to be used as an avatar. What format is allowed? I've tried jpg, and png with no luck. When I tried to upload I got a big red message stating that the image could not be uploaded. :?

bemfarmer

.jpg or .png, 80 X 80 pixels (max), 9kB (max?), are specified.
- Brian
or .gif

No, it does not work, something must be broken?

bemfarmer

So, I was able to enter Max's avatar URL (His site), and also TylerDurdens avatar URL (Dropbox), each of which worked. (Subsequently deleted both URL references.)
Now to upload my tetrus.jpg to dropbox, and enter URL.
(onedrive did not work, url too long. At least for the way I tried it...)
- Brian

bemfarmer

Right click on someone's avatar and select properties to see their URL and file type.
Photobucket, dropbox, or specific web sites are used.
Still trying to (re)install dropbox.
- Brian

bemfarmer

Successfully linked to tetrus avatar with photobucket, after a brief struggle. The URL is a bit messy.
Dropbox fails to load, just quits with no messages...
Edit, dropbox decided to start working, but have not obtained a clean URL yet...
- Brian
EDIT: (IMHO, Do Not Use Photobucket, there can be solicitations, and malwarebytes gives warnings)

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Well that's odd. It appears, from the error message I get, that there is a location to upload avatar images to. Maybe a web master could tell us if that functionality is enabled or not. Seems like it would be nice to have.

Attachments

40.2 KB · Views: 1

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I was HOPING to not have to sign up for another online service. If the functionality is available in the forum why not use it? Or does it become a server issue?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Don't use Photobucket unless you are already paying for what they call 3rd Party Hosting - lots of issues reported on other forums, Photobucket trying to get money out of users for functionality that has previously been allowed (like posting the images in a Forum).

bemfarmer

DavidJ said:
Don't use Photobucket unless you are already paying for what they call 3rd Party Hosting - lots of issues reported on other forums, Photobucket trying to get money out of users for functionality that has previously been allowed (like posting the images in a Forum).
Touche,
I see my tetrus has already been replaced by a photobucket "solicitation." :-(

I'll try dropbox again tonight.

- Brian

bemfarmer

Finally managed to get the tetrus avatar located on my dropbox. (I'm very ignorant about dropbox)
(First of all install dropbox, which was difficult for me, probably because it was previously installed. Then sign on at dropbox.com.)
First a green tetrus jpg of the small size and small pixel numbers, was prepared. (I used Microsoft Office picture manager, from a few years ago).
After uploading the avatar to dropbox, in dropbox/sharing/links, make a shared link, in dropbox.
Copy the (pseudo URL) link to clipboard.

In Alibre:
Under UserControPanel / Profile /Edit avatar,
Paste the pseudo URL into the Link off-site box under the Alibre edit avatar window.
Change http://www.dropbox...(various symbols and file name).... to http://dl.dropbox...(various symbols and file name)...., and delete the ?dl=0 at the end.
(My final URL was https://dl.dropbox.com/s/o5jowmy9w4jzuh ... Tetrus.jpg)

Add in the px X px values, which can also be observed on dropbox, or a graphics program.
The image file can be .jpg or .png, or .gif, 80 X 80 pixels (max), 9kB (max?).

Submit.

Note, URL links for existing Alibre avatars on the forum, (Windows7 computer), are viewable by right clicking on avatar, and selecting "properties."

- Brian
Currently deleting Photobucket bookmark.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
DavidJ said:
My photobucket acount was fine when posting previously but I see in the last few days that is over. Oh well... bye bye photobucket...