What's new

funnel design

Old Geeser

How does one create a funnel shaped design. I've tried extrude and extrude cut, both with a draft angle. Each time I get the outside circle drafted toward the inside and the inside circle drafted toward the outside. which results in a sharp point part way between. How do I get a uniform wall in my drafted surface?
Thank you

domcm

Super simple way is via a thin revolve. Could also use a regular revolve with a more detailed sketch to better control the profile.

2022-08-27_20-25-41.gif

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Super simple way is via a thin revolve. Could also use a regular revolve with a more detailed sketch to better control the profile.

View attachment 37054

This would be my preferred method as well. For many things, including that funnel. I use that revolve function to do lots of stuff.

Another option would be to loft boss a solid funnel body, then loft cut, or even shell to remove the interior.

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
You didn't mention which version of Alibre you are using. Some features that would be used in Design, aren't available in Atom.

Here is an example of each. Loft/Shell and Loft Boss/Loft Cut

Attachments

• Loft and Shell.AD_PRT
    371.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Lofts Boss and Loft Cut.AD_PRT
    327.5 KB · Views: 2

Old Geeser

Wow, Thanks so much, I never even considered "shell" or creating the outside first. And to send example files is just GREAT! Thanks again Ken226.
I had my head started one way and you guys saw it an entirely different way. I have used revolve a couple of time and I can see how it would have been easy that way, too. Thanks, Domcm
Just in case you are interested, I need to 3d print an adapter so I can use my wife's sweeper attachments on my shop vacuum (there smaller and will fit into my antique tractor's dry fuel tank).

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Wow, Thanks so much, I never even considered "shell" or creating the outside first. And to send example files is just GREAT! Thanks again Ken226.
I had my head started one way and you guys saw it an entirely different way. I have used revolve a couple of time and I can see how it would have been easy that way, too. Thanks, Domcm
Just in case you are interested, I need to 3d print an adapter so I can use my wife's sweeper attachments on my shop vacuum (there smaller and will fit into my antique tractor's dry fuel tank).

I've done the same. 3d printed adapters to connect my shop vac to my dust deputy, and a few custom shop vac wands to get down into my mills T-slots to suck out chips.

3d printers are very handy. Check out the 3d print gallery in the 3d printing section. Some cool stuff in there.

Last edited:

Old Geeser

I have 2 3D printers. A Creality Ender3 (had for years) and a Qidi "i-fast" (new 2 months ago). Both made fantastic parts! The latter I bought so I could make higher temperature (carbon fiber) parts.
By the way, the part came out beautiful, except on one end I had an outside dimension where I needed an inside dimension. So back to Alibre, change it (2-minute fix) and reprint this afternoon. This software is soooo cool!