What's new

Future of Vault

Mika

Earlier the M-Files was bundled with Alibre license? I think when it was like that, it was really much cheaper...not like nowadays, cheapest possible 300€/month/user and at least 5 users. So it will be nowadays at least 1500€/month.(1670USD)

Mika

I double checked today it from M-Files. 300€/year and minimum 5users. (My bad, sorry...) So the minimum price for the M-Files Cloud Vault is 1500€/year. It means 125€/month, which is still a little bit too much for me. There is also possibility to buy a license which one can be installed to own server, it was around 495€/licence+yearly maintenance 21% of license price.

I do not have the skills to built my own server. So the only option for that cheaper license would be the monthly paid virtual server. Buying a monthly paid virtual server+one M-Files license probably gets near to that same price what M-Files Cloud Vault is.

[Just to get your attention.] Having (personally) given up on Vault systems in the 1980's (and spent several months/year "restoring" my client's Vault systems after "crashes" from the mid-1990's into the 2010 time frame). The approach I use is to 7-zip each Project separately, and load Details as to the Project into a Libre Office SBase dataset and store them (A) locally and (B) on an external FTP site. This way I can "recover" everything (Models, Drawings, Variable DataBases, spreadsheets, text files, FEM datasets, etc.) in one Archive. A friend of mine has an FTP site with a massive array of hard drives (with auto-Back-up) and it somes me a couple hundred dollars every couple of years (to support his "hard drive habit") -- though DropBox and BoxFTP are fairly inexpensive and reasonably secure.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I do not have the skills to built my own server.

No need - my own M-Files 'Server' is a tiny Win10 Home PC - for a small number of users, that is enough. Also think about scheduled backups (maybe as simple as external USB drive).

idslk

Alibre Super User
I double checked today it from M-Files.
maybe there are regional differences... don't want to make advertisement so sorry for no link...i found this:
upload_2019-8-7_20-2-43.png

have not asked for details... it looks like it's avail as a 1 ,3 and 5 user package with different prices...
Regards
Stefan

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
There is also possibility to buy a license which one can be installed to own server, it was around 495€/licence+yearly maintenance 21% of license price.

I do not have the skills to built my own server.
FYI if its like the Alibre Vault version I use - Client and Server programs can be installed on the same machine. You would need to ask them to be sure. Also I set Server to backup somewhere else.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You can install M-Files Server & Client on same machine - I'm aware of a few users who have done that. I just use a separate 'server' which is a low power headless PC that I leave running all the time and access it from other computers that I use.

Mika

Is there any way to access those part/assembly properties on outside of the Alibre? If those properties can be viewed and edited(write access) outside of Alibre, it might be possible to create an MS Access database about own project files and give it to the write access on to those files. Maybe it would be possible to edit part/assembly files metadata inside the MS Access..and later someone write the script for Alibre to view that database in graphical interface. This would give us a possibility to save our files anywhere we want and more easily control the large amount files metadata. Just an idea, I´ll hope you understand what I mean. Lew, you really get my attention.... :)

Attachments

• Properties.jpg
    Properties.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 12

PaulProe

Lew,
I understand your concept of using folders to store project files. Curious how you deal with 'common parts' or hardware. If you have a place for common hardware (ie, 3/8-16, Gr. 8 nut), do you just have the one file location or do you add that file to each zip folder, ending up with multiple copies of the file on the server?

Paul

PaulProe

All,
Is there a way, outside of M-Files, to add custom fields to the drawing notes? And a way to search or show it? Maybe an Alibre script?

Paul

Lew,
I understand your concept of using folders to store project files. Curious how you deal with 'common parts' or hardware. If you have a place for common hardware (ie, 3/8-16, Gr. 8 nut), do you just have the one file location or do you add that file to each zip folder, ending up with multiple copies of the file on the server?
Hi Paul -- Let us say that my Project has the nominal identity of "VT-1." I will create a Directory titled VT-1." "Beneath that Directory I will create Sub-Directories named: Hardware, Common Parts, and "Installation VT-1." All of the )if you will) "common purchased hardware" (bolts, nuts, washers, bearings, etc) will be placed in the "Hardware" Sub-Directory. Let us say that I have "Project Specific Parts & Assemblies" that will be used "across" the Project they get placed into the "Common Parts" Sub-Directory. Now the Installation Sub-Directory is where I place my "Installation" (most would call it "Top Assembly" Model along with my (spreadsheet based) Parts List. Text File containing all my "Function of Assembly" and "Function of Parts" definition list, and the like for the Project. "Beneath" my Installation" Sub-Directory I will create other Sub-Sub-Directories for each of the (if you will) Major Sub-Assemblies and (as required) Sub-Sub-Assemblies (etc) until each section of my Project is properly identitied, and organized. and as necessary Sub-Sub-Directories for things such as FEA Data, PDF's of Drawing Files, and the like. Thus I can create a 7-zip archive and call it (say) VT-1 Project Rev New 20190808A and maintain a complete dataset of the Project.

Does this make sense to you? -- Lew

Mika

Is there anyone ever planned to make a script about ”file management”? I’m not a code writer, but I’m intrested to join a project to help somehow, if somebody have this kinda plans.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I've been working with Lew on a script for project documentation. File management could be done but everyone will have a different idea of what to do.

Is there anyone ever planned to make a script about ”file management”? I’m not a code writer, but I’m intrested to join a project to help somehow, if somebody have this kinda plans.
Hi Mika -- The real issue lies with the "how" of "Project Organization." The approach I was taught (and still use) was defined by the American military as "MIL-Q-9858" (though it was "discontinued" in the late-1980's). It defined the "how" Projects for the American military, NASA, and "general government development" Programs had to be documented, archived, and accessed. [This makes me a "dinosaur" in today's world.] -- Lew