What's new

G-code halved scale?

Elrick

Hi. Hope someone keeps an eye out on this section. I recently got a problem with the g-code output on the CNC. For some reason the scale is automatically halved. Parts appears fine in GMD and the software used to open the g-code generated by mecsoft. Anyone know how to determine whether its the software or hardware thats causing this? The scale seems to happen uniformly. Not like the Z dimension alone were scaled. Haven't had this sort of trouble before. I didnt change any settings anywhere since the last time the machine were operated. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Elrick

Currently I dont know whats going on anymore. Alibre CAM wrote a corrupted g-code to the CNC controller. I wiped all the files from the controller and uploaded the new g-code and it ran the code flawless. That was the last part which didnt give me any trouble. Now every time I try to create a g-code I get the error "Invalid arguments encountered! Please check settings and report problem.". When I press OK it shows "Error creating tool path! Please check settings and input parameters." I do everything like Ive been doing it for a long time now. After the latest updates Ive just been having more and more trouble. Im sick and tired of this crap and busy losing my patience and trust in this software! Feels like im spending half my day trying to solve problems and looking for ways to work around them. Everything seemed to work better when it was still ALIBRE!

Elrick

All our workstations downgraded to latest version 15. Appears, once again, that version 16 should be avoided at all costs!! Why release when it is unstable...?

Elrick said:
All our workstations downgraded to latest version 15. Appears, once again, that version 16 should be avoided at all costs!! Why release when it is unstable...?
Elrick -- I am running Geomagic Design Version: (PRODUCTVERSION 16,0,2,16496) 64-bit with no design troubles whatsoever. I send CAM work out to any of several shops via STEP or IGES, also without trouble. I do not do enough CAM programming to make owning an integrated CAM system worthwhile.

When I first saw your post, my inclination was to assume that somehow the scale command had been or was being set by the system. I do not remember the G-code for that command without digging it out, but I have been "hung" on that a couple of times over the years.

It may well be that version 16.0.2.16496 is perfectly stable on the Windows-7 Ultimate version I am running, but not on other versions of Windows. I have no other "seats" in use, but my experiences with version 16.0.2.16496 have been quite positive.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
I've also been using GMD 16 for quite a while with annoyances but no major problems and use CAM on many of the designed parts which I make myself with a small CNC mill. No problems at all with the CAM so far as part issues or anomalies.

Elrick - if you'd like, upload a (preferably) simple part file that is causing you problems in CAM and I will try to run it through my CAM software (SprutCAM). At least that may narrow the problem down to GMD or Alibre CAM.

Mike