What's new

G-Code

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I bought myself a early X-mas present. A CR - 10 3D Large Size Desktop DIY Printer [http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_441281.html]/ At $360 and 300 x 300 x 400mm build volume how could I resits.

Now I need help in turning my models in to G-Code (like the attached screen shot). Along with any tips and tricks that will help making the part correctly.

Happy Holidays
Rocket Nut

Attachments

• DataLoggerSupportFrame.jpg
    DataLoggerSupportFrame.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 10

ajayre

Alibre Super User
GD -> STL Export -> Slic3r -> G-Code

At the base of the blue "ring thing" add a 45 degree chamfer. Hobby-level 3D printers can't do 90 degree overhangs.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
Thanks ajayre for the link.

I have tried to run Slic3r, I keeping getting a run time errors. The attached screen shot shows the error I am getting. The model (in STL format) seems to load with out any problems. It's when I try to "Peview" is when errors pops up. I have also attached the model I used. I have not tried it with any other models yet.

Attachments

• Slic3rUnhandled exception.jpg
    Slic3rUnhandled exception.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Slic3rMicrosoft Visual C++ Runtime.jpg
    Slic3rMicrosoft Visual C++ Runtime.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DataLoggerMountingStructure.stl
    173 KB · Views: 1

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
I loaded that STL into the proprietary slicer for my Zortrax M200 printer and found that it is 312 mm tall, which is too high for most hobby-level printers. After scaling it by approximately 50% I was able to get it to slice, so presumably the model itself is OK. What is the maximum height that your printer can go?

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
The printer can handle height of 400mm. The print volume is what really sold me ( not to mention the price ).

Attachments

• PrintVolume.jpg
    PrintVolume.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1

ajayre

Alibre Super User
For Slic3r problems you are better off using the RepRap forums or reporting it as a bug on the Slic3r github. There are so many people using it that someone will have run into the same issue.

But there are other apps available such as Cura. Just do a search on Google....

Andy

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Slicers can take a bit of trial and error to set up. You definitely need to add start and end gcode and possibly tool change gcode too (even for single extruders).

I compiled a list of slicers if you want to try others: List Of Slicers. There are lots to choose from beyond Slic3r and Cura. Most are community driven support-wise (much like GD) but if you go for a paid for option like Simplify3D then you get support to get you up and running. Apparently their support is very good too.

Good luck.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Nice build volume btw. I wish I had something a bit bigger too. Yours isn't enclosed so forget printing ABS, stick with PLA, PETG and possibly ASA.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
bigseb said:
Slicers can take a bit of trial and error to set up. You definitely need to add start and end gcode and possibly tool change gcode too (even for single extruders).

I compiled a list of slicers if you want to try others: List Of Slicers. There are lots to choose from beyond Slic3r and Cura. Most are community driven support-wise (much like GD) but if you go for a paid for option like Simplify3D then you get support to get you up and running. Apparently their support is very good too.

Good luck.
You may also be able to upgrade your printer firmware (Marlin and Sailfish are popular). This will allow for better acceleration settings and other tweaks, basically maximizing your hardware. Get more info at 3D Print Board.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
bigseb said:
Nice build volume btw. I wish I had something a bit bigger too. Yours isn't enclosed so forget printing ABS, stick with PLA, PETG and possibly ASA.

I'm thinking of Carbon Fiber High Modulus PLA Filament for the strength (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Filament-In...379096?hash=item2ef182d5d8:g:egEAAOSwyKxXgXjl).

bigseb said:
RocketNut said:
Has no heated bed...

That was asked in the comment section

Looking over the spec again I found it comes with Cura slicing software

Attachments

• cv-10HeatedBed.jpg
    cv-10HeatedBed.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 157

bigseb

Alibre Super User
If you're gonna use CF filament you might want to get a stainless steel or even better a hardened steel nozzle. CF will shred the standard brass nozzles.

Got me some CF filament at home but haven't used it for that very reason.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I need the strongest filament possible because this is the support structure for a high power rocket flight controller. Which can see +10Gs loads along with extreme vibrations during flight.

What filament would you suggest?

Happy holidays

Richard

bigseb

Alibre Super User
The CF stuff is pretty darn strong, at least what I seen. Not really something I paid much attention to as my line of work is more prototyping items that will ultimately be injection moulded so I am more into detail and finishability.

Your printer won't be able to do it but PEEK should the ultimate in terms of strength. Glass-filled nylon too but you won't be able to print that either. Stick with the Carbon fibre PLA and see how the goes.