What's new

General Method for Mould Tool Design in Alibre ?

kev h

Hi

Have fudged around :D with a couple basic mould tools in AD but now have a part to do with an uneven split line , so was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give me any hints or tips on the general procedure in AD.

(It is a low quatity P20 inserted tool so nothing flash in Nylon 6)

This is how i have gone about it so far...

1 Modeled up the part from sample.

2 Scaled the part to add shrinkage 1.02 for 2%.

3 Inserted scaled part into an assembly then added a new part and sketched split line from modeled part and then extruded lower cavity block and saved the new part as lower insert.

4 Then inserted another new part and projected split line view from lower insert to then create upper cavity block and again saved new part as upper insert.

5 Next to edit inserts separately and perform Boolean subtracts using scaled part to produce cavs.

6 Then create some core inserts but not quite sure yet how i'm goin to do that.

Have attached scaled part and a pic of split line but am redoing it with scaled part now :roll:

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated especially on how to not tie myself up in knots with assembly constraints and such like.

Cheers Kev 8)

Attachments

• Split line pic.JPG
    Split line pic.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Handle2help.AD_PRT
    359 KB · Views: 78

kev h

Have got a bit further just hope i'm doin it the right way :?

Any comments from you pro's out there would be great :)

Cheers Kev :cool:

Attachments

• Handle2 Mould.stp
    437.6 KB · Views: 78

kev h

Hi Seb

Yep downloaded it the other day , but was a sooo dazzled by the mass of parts and constraints that i just starred at it in all its glory :)

Will have another look in a bit and see what i can discover.

To create an insert (new part) from a feature already solid on the part was i correct to project to sketch from the original then create new part on top of original then cut away original leaving new part , if that makes sense :shock:

Cheers Kev

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Ok. Try this then:

Unzip the 7z file for cavity splits. Obviously you could place the split whereever you want, it just an idea...

Attachments

• Cavity Plate.jpg
    Cavity Plate.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Core Plate.jpg
    Core Plate.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Handle Help.7z
    142.2 KB · Views: 78

kev h

Thanks for your help Seb, thats cool as its something like what i came up with in the file i attached above which is encouraging :)

What i meant above was how to create a seperate core insert part (yellow part in assembly) for the upstand core in the core plate .

Cheers Kev 8)

Attachments

• Handle2 Mould.stp
    437.6 KB · Views: 68

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I don't create a separate core. I have two 'article' parts; one as is and one with shelling (or hollows) suppressed. Then I use the boolean functions to subtract the 'as is' part from the 'no shell' part. This is all done on the cavity plate itself.

I hope that makes sense... 8)

kev h

Ahhha i think i see now , and why you had 2 articles versions. :wink:

Did my assembly look ok? , no major mistakes?

Cheers Kev :cool:

kev h

No worries , constraints and maintaining relationships with parts are the biggest nightmares for me still at the moment (too many or too few :roll: )

I have just been hiding the various parts to look at different parts of it.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers Kev 8)