What's new

Generating a cutting pattern for multiple parts - flattened sheetmetal

PaulProe

I am trying to generate a drawing (full scale) that I can paste to my material and use as a cutting pattern on a bandsaw. When I started, my concept was to put multiple views of the same part on a drawing. But I couldn't accurately position each view in relation to another. I was advised there isn't a way to accurately position one view from another. Cut Pattern Drawing View Alignment

One suggested solution was to make an "assembly" using constraints to position the parts, then make a drawing of that assembly. Sounded like a solution but I didn't mention the parts in question are sheetmetal pieces.

I built the assembly, positioned six pieces using constraints. All was good till I tried to save the drawing. Then I get a message the parts must be rebent before saving. When I tried to save, the program throws an error:
Save operation encountered error:
"com.alibre.rose.RoseException: No sponsor found for com.alibre.design.ops. FlattenOperation
at com.alibre.rose.STEPConverter.getExportObject(Object source)
at com.alibre.rose.STEPConverter.exportSTEPFile(Object root. String filename. Boolean isFileExported)

at com.alibre.server.DesignWorkspace persist(String storageFilename. IntPtr meshProviderHandle)"
Check if failure is due to insufficient disk space or file access privileges.
Save workspace again after correcting the problem.

The problem isn't disk space or access privileges. I built the same assembly with 'folded' parts and it will save and allow me to build a drawing of it, but the parts can not be displayed in a flat pattern to generate my pattern.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this? This is a screenshot of the layout and error message and I've attached a copy of the original part
Screenshot 2022-02-18 220504.jpg

Attachments

• Motor Brkt.AD_SMP
    452.5 KB · Views: 2

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
It's probably better to create a drawing of your part and select the option to show a flat pattern view.
In the view creation dialog select the More Options then Project as Flat Pattern. Make sure the view scale is 1:1.
1645249469577.png

You can then print out the drawing sheet and use that to trace on your material as many times as needed for cutting.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello PauProe,

save your SMP in unbend state, create a new assembly, insert this unbend SMP, use the pattern command in assembly, save your assembly and create the drawing.

1645251179821.png1645251078461.png

Regards
Stefan

PaulProe

It's probably better to create a drawing of your part and select the option to show a flat pattern view.
In the view creation dialog select the More Options then Project as Flat Pattern. Make sure the view scale is 1:1.
View attachment 35411

You can then print out the drawing sheet and use that to trace on your material as many times as needed for cutting.
Harold
I am able to do this and get the pattern of ONE piece. I want to get a 6 piece layout with accurate spacing of each view so I can use that as a cut template.

1) Drawing won't allow accurate layout/spacing of views
2) Assembly won't save unfolded views
3) Sheetmetal won't save in unfolded view

I can get single view, unfolded. I can't generate a view of six pieces, each spaced .030" from the other.

Paul

PaulProe

Hello PauProe,

save your SMP in unbend state, create a new assembly, insert this unbend SMP, use the pattern command in assembly, save your assembly and create the drawing.

View attachment 35413View attachment 35412

Regards
Stefan
Stefan
What am I doing wrong? When I try to save the sheetmetal part in the unfolded view, Alibre won't let me. See this screenclip. No matter how I save it, it is in the folded condition.

Paul

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-19 104511.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-19 104511.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 10

PaulProe

David
You get the Gold Star. That did it - learn something everyday.

Curious, what's the difference between UnBend and Flat Pattern? Other than the way it displays on Alibre and the ability to save in that configuration? Maybe just a quick view? very confusing

Able to UnBend, save, make assembly with 6 pieces then make drawing that can be printed full-scale and used as a multi-part cut template.

Thanks

Paul

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If you are going to use the Unbend to create then flattened part, create an Unbend Configuration and use that in the assemblage of the six parts.

FLAT PATTERN ASSY.png

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Flat pattern flattens every bend, unbend allows you to select bends to unbend (useful when applying cuts that cross a bend).

[EDIT - 'flat pattern' in the SMP workspace is intended to allow a temporary check of if the flattened part gives a plausible outline, it isn't a permanent option]

Last edited: