What's new

Geomagic/2013

H-L-Smith

I do understand where people could have an issue with the name Geomagic Design. However, the jury is still out regarding what this new association with other products in the 3D modeling world will do for us a users of (former) Alibre Design 3D modeling software. Let's all please reflect on the fact that it's what this association allows us to do as end-users of the software that is essential here.

And, it could be that this will create opportunities for designers and shops using Alibre to work with clients or companies who may have used one of the newly associated products from one of the other acquired firms. If I have nothing taken away from the product I currently have and instead I see enhancements, improvements and expansions of its capabilities through integration with these other products, I don't see how I am a loser here. I'll be a winner.

Also, consider the name Apple. It is a technology company whose name was inspired by a Beatles record label and album cover. Pretty stupid, wouldn't you say? It seems to have survived quite nicely in spite of that and if you think of personal communications and computing devices, Apple certainly is a mind-share and technology leader. As was famously said, " A rose by any other name is still a rose." Yes, the jury is out, but there is also room for a little optimism and positive thinking here too.

Cheers,

JUKKIS

For new purchases it will only be available in Expert. That's a new change. If you have it currently under Pro you should be able to keep it.

And what will be then the difference between PE and Professional ??

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Personal has significant limitations for doing production 2D drawing work as well as an import/export pipeline that is unsuitable for most business use.

GaretDH

H-L-Smith said:
I do understand where people could have an issue with the name Geomagic Design. However, the jury is still out regarding what this new association with other products in the 3D modeling world will do for us a users of (former) Alibre Design 3D modeling software. Let's all please reflect on the fact that it's what this association allows us to do as end-users of the software that is essential here.

And, it could be that this will create opportunities for designers and shops using Alibre to work with clients or companies who may have used one of the newly associated products from one of the other acquired firms. If I have nothing taken away from the product I currently have and instead I see enhancements, improvements and expansions of its capabilities through integration with these other products, I don't see how I am a loser here. I'll be a winner.

Also, consider the name Apple. It is a technology company whose name was inspired by a Beatles record label and album cover. Pretty stupid, wouldn't you say? It seems to have survived quite nicely in spite of that and if you think of personal communications and computing devices, Apple certainly is a mind-share and technology leader. As was famously said, " A rose by any other name is still a rose." Yes, the jury is out, but there is also room for a little optimism and positive thinking here too.

Cheers,

*I* couldn't care less what it's called, for myself. I know the package is solid and I've been looking forward to the updated feature set for a while now. I'm a little worried about the future of the package with all the corporate changes going around, but that would be true no matter what they called it. That's a different subject.

My clients, on the other hand - if I've never heard of it, I can tell you that my clients have *certainly* never heard of it. When we're in prospect meeting and they ask me what I use, "Alibre" was hard enough, because they expect to hear names like "SolidWorks" and "Inventor", etc.

Now I have to give them a name that sounds more like it belongs to a cartoon about a rainbow-spewing unicorn saving the environment...

Mibe

Alibre Super User
So, what do you think about the name "Maya" and Rhinoceros? Well known names today, but imagine the first time your heard them. They sounded a bit strange, right?

When I first heard about Geomagic it felt strange, now it feels alright :)

rollin45

The obvious solution to name" problem" (and one hopes it is possible) is to do "magic" with it!
Arthur C. Clarke once said (paraphrasing) : any technology sufficiently advanced seems like magic.

rollin'

robertf

First person I told about it thought I was talking about the gravity field mapping software Geomagix

The name is horrible, but its not bad enough to spend an extra 3 grand on another software package.

Spent a few hours with it last night

The circle dimensioning is nice, but should have been there from day 1. Many times it failed to come up with a solution until I drug around the unconstrained circle and changed the order of items.

That is the only difference I could tell, it does not seem like 18 months worth of upgrades.

GaretDH

Off the topic of names, I've noticed that it now seems to remember your last file save location, instead of defaulting to "Documents" every time...

I think I may cry :lol:

sz0k30

The thing that I find upsetting is how we found out about this, almost by accident rather than thru an official post by Max!

GaretDH

sz0k30 said:
The thing that I find upsetting is how we found out about this, almost by accident rather than thru an official post by Max!

Nah. I hadn't been very happy about it, either, but the basic fact is they're part of a bigger company now with different corporate concerns. Like it or not, 3DS clearly has policies in place to hush people up until their official "reveal".

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Been following this thread with interest. My 2 cents: Geomagic is a terrible name. Yes, I know, big brand bla bla bla. But in my field its unheard of. And I had just gotten people used to Alibre. Now its Geomagic. That's right up there with Rhino, Maya, Moment of Inspiration, etc. Why not make it Geometric (already mentioned here) or GeoLogic? You know, a big people name...

Worst.

Decision.

Ever.

Name aside its awesome software so I'll carry on using it.

cclark440

Alibre Super User
Well if the name is the only thing people are complaining about, that is a good thing right?

My $.02 worth, I agree the name is not good. When I talk to customers about what modeling software I use, they all pretty much say they have never heard of it.
I think I am going to continue using the name Alibre for awhile. I just don't think I can bring myself to tell customers that we use Geomagic.

Also, on a side note I have been in the Metrology Industry, specifically dealing with CMMs (Coordinate Measuring Machines) for over 15 years, and I have never heard of Geomagic.
Say DIMS, Calypso, Verisurf, and I know what you are talking about. Say Geomagic, and I look at you like you are speaking Greek.

swertel

Alibre Super User
It seems I have the opposite problem as the rest of the folks here.

Geomagic is well known and well respected in my circles. Much better known than Alibre. And actually, for those I meet that know of both, they laugh at Alibre. But now when asked what CAD system I use and I have to answer "Geomagic," my circle is going to be confused as to which Geomagic I'm talking about. The conversation is going to require clarification.

Can we, as a user community, start coming up with the proper industry nickname?
I vote for GeoDesign.
We should start a new thread with a poll.

Drutort

I'm glad its finally arrived, though I agree about the name with others (both camps) either way, everyone will get used to it, eventually. Now for motion 2.0 or whatever it will be called :)