What's new

Geomagic Design Has Stopped working

jcdammeyer

I have a part that I drew back on the 14th of September. I loaded it today and tried to save as and Geomagic throws up a dialog with the above message. Examining the folder shows that the file was saved. But still Geomagic crashed. A bit more research shows that nothing can be saved without the crash. The document is usually updated or saved as but I can't work with it crashing on every save. And yes. I did try and reboot the PC and try again.

Running WIN-7 64 bit PRO. 8GB RAM Intel i7-2600K 3.4GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTE-670, Viewsonic 1080P monitor. Geomagic Licensed with a dongle.

From the Help/About Geomagic Design menu entry:

Date: October-12-14 5:10:35 PM
Geomagic Design™
Geomagic Design Version:[ PRODUCTVERSION 16,0,2,16496 ] 64-bit

ACISUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]
DXUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]
DCMUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]
DWGUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]
ROSEUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]
PDFPublishUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]
SMACISContextServer_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]
OpenNurbsUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]
GDIPlusUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]

User name: john
Computer name: CORSAIR
Network status: Available
Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Processor Information: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Number of Processors: 8

Microsoft .Net Framework

jcdammeyer

Further research on this issue.
I moved the USB dongle to my laptop that has Geomagic installed but the previous version.
The problem does not exist. Although Geomagic tells me there's an update I'm not sure I want to do that to a system that does save files without crashing. I'd rather roll back the crashing system and see if the problem goes away but since the upgrade download is done automatically I'm not sure that is possible.

Apparently .txt attachments aren't allowed so below is the information:
This laptop WIN-7 64 bit system does not crash when I move the USB dongle onto it.
It's a slightly older version. I don't dare update it in case it also starts crashing.
I don't believe the problem existed before I updated the software.

Date: October-12-14 5:21:24 PM
Geomagic Design™
Geomagic Design Version:[ PRODUCTVERSION 16,0,1,16490 ] 64-bit

ACISUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.1.16490]
DXUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.1.16490]
DCMUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.1.16490]
DWGUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.1.16490]
ROSEUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.1.16490]
PDFPublishUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.1.16490]
SMACISContextServer_x64.dll[Version:16.0.1.16490]
OpenNurbsUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.1.16490]
GDIPlusUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.1.16490]

Computer name: FLIPPER-IV
Processor Information: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz

Microsoft .Net Framework

This Workstation system crashes every time I save a file.

Date: October-12-14 5:26:22 PM
Geomagic Design™
Geomagic Design Version:[ PRODUCTVERSION 16,0,2,16496 ] 64-bit

ACISUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]
DXUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]
DCMUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]
DWGUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]
ROSEUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]
PDFPublishUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]
SMACISContextServer_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]
OpenNurbsUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]
GDIPlusUtils_x64.dll[Version:16.0.2.16496]

Computer name: CORSAIR
Processor Information: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz

Microsoft .Net Framework

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Geomatic Design Has Stopped working

I'm not clear if the problem is confined to a specific file (maybe corruption of some sort), or if it's everything you try on that PC ??

You can turn off the automatic updates. If you really wanted to go back to an earlier build, I suspect you'd need a copy of the installer. Obviously you won't be able to open files saved in latest build when working in an earlier build.

jcdammeyer

I can't save any files without the program crashing. In each case the file has been correctly saved but then the program throws up the stopped working dialog.

I then restored the 3D Systems folder from a 07SEPT14 backup before the hot fix for license issues. Now it's the same version as the one on the laptop. Still the same problem.

I could try booting in safe mode to see if it will run. My license is dongle based so network connectivity shouldn't be required. Since the same files open on the laptop loaded from a network alias drive from the troubled system it must be something with what is running on the WIN-7 system.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Geomatic Design Has Stopped working

I would be tempted to uninstall, re-boot, re-install.

jcdammeyer

Been there. Done that. No T-shirt. It's really strange.
The text if I click on Debug is: "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in Geomagic Design.exe [5392]".
I no longer have Visual Studio installed so I don't have an installed debugger and past experience says that without source code it's not much use anyway.
The web says these kinds of errors could be just about anything. Registry Errors. Even hard disk sector errors although since this is repeatable with saving anything from parts to drawings. I've installed/repaired the existing version while keeping the old one in a renamed folder so hard drive issues seem unlikely.

Nothing else I run exhibits this problem. That includes Embarcadero Delphi XE7, Microchip MPLAB, Freescale CodeWarrier, Adobe Lightroom, Protel 99SE and Altium Designer both CAD programs for circuit board design.

jcdammeyer

No luck with deleting user.Net.profile but it was in the Alibre folder and not the 3D systems folder so I doubt it was even being used.
I have .NET Framework 4 and Microsoft says it's up to date. I can try and uninstall it and then install it again.
It's pretty obvious it's something with my system but then even way back in 1981 my Computing Science professor was stressing that a correctly written program should never cause a system fault. And they had a good example lab exercise to demonstrate that if as programmers we didn't pay attention we'd be bitten in the rear.
So although only one system is showing the problem it's still only one program that makes it show up and that program is Geomagic.

JST

Alibre Super User
For what it is worth, I have also experienced a lot more crashes and trouble recently. I think I NEVER EVER ONCE had AD/GD crash until about 8 weeks ago. Now it has happened several times.

I have had other memory-intensive programs on this computer for a long time, and they have not caused ANY crashes, so I am not inclined to suspect the hardware or OS specifically. That should be as bad for the other programs as for this one. The other program is graphic-based output and input,plus uses as much memory as is available. (circuit analysis). It seems that issues with graphics or OS or memory should be shown up on both.

But it is only AD/GD that has had problems.

Elrick

JC, if you havent done excessive work on version 16 I would recommend to rollback to latest version of 15. I've picked up some major problems and it IS related to the latest release of GMD. Once I downgraded most problems were gone. Very ugly artifacts, Alibre CAM not working, these crashes you are talking about and licensing issues (which were sorted in the last update). Version 16 is very unstable and for the amount of improvement in relation to the trouble it aint worth it. I am privileged to work on three workstations. The two main PCs are one at work and my own personal at home. The other one mobile from where I run Alibre CAM. I also kept the latest version on the mobile platform but downgraded yesterday due to the malfunction of Alibre CAM. Support told me: "While CAM is not supported any more we still have a working relationship with Mecsoft. There was an error with the CAM software integrated properly with Design. This is being worked on." I am a bit irritated that improved versions are released without proper tests being made.

Not sure why your specs show Windows NT and Windows 7? In my opinion stay with Windows 7 for as long as you could! Appears GMD and W8 havent bonded well yet. Also .Net framework issues. My mobile platform still uses W7 and much less issues.

jcdammeyer

WIN NT 6.1 is WIN-7.
I have the dongle for MECSOFT CAM integrated with Geomagic which also has a dongle. The software only runs on the PC with the dongle. My problems may well have started when my license changed from the online version to the dongle version. I'd have to look at invoices to know when I received the dongle and when I last used the software to save a file.
As I said before. A System Error crash is unacceptable. We learned that in 3rd year computing science at UofA in Edmonton, Alberta. But then it may be .NET or some other system library causing the problem.
I'd just like a way of finding the solution.

Elrick

Guess this is just like road works. It slows you down for a while but after its done things will be much more pleasant. Ive been biting on my teeth for the thumbnail crashes related to W8 to be fixed. It was sorted in V16 but then worse problems occurred. Hopefully soon everything will be normal again!