What's new

Geomagic locks up if I loose internet

normc

Early this morning I lost internet connection. Apparently something happened down my street and the internet provider was there doing the maintenance to fix it. So, meanwhile, I decided I would just proceed to do some design work on the computer. Wrong! Geomagic locked up. I could not do any work off line. Same situation on happened on both my desktop and laptop. The system asked for license key but obviously I could no do that because I lost internet. I called Flexara on the phone about the issue and they indicated that it was not their problem and I should call 3DS support.

So, I just got my internet back and able to write this message. I also lost 1/2 days work.
I suggest others check this out and maybe temporarily disconnect their internet off to see if it happens to others. So clearly this is not an acceptable situation.

Andrew Roth

This was my major concern when this new licensing scheme was announced.
So at this point hearing all these lock-up/lock-out stories I'm sticking with 2014 aka V15.
Sucks to pay for upgrades that you are afraid to install.
Of course we can all buy USB Dongles and no problem right?
This IS NOT Good.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Just tried it here - it does seem slower to open without internet connection, but it does work OK.

wildwood58

opened up this morning, purposely did not have internet connected. No problems at all if anything may have been a little quicker opening up, also no lockup or freeze problem.... attached is quick model I did this morning, rendered in Keyshot 4

Attachments

• doodad3.82.jpg
    doodad3.82.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 35

dwc

Alibre Super User
I just did some tests to see what happens if the Internet is interrupted while GM is running.
In general I saw no problems.... but,
if Internet fails in the seconds after the splash screen is shown the program hangs, I let it run for more than an hour and it never finished loading although I was able to run other programs while GM was hanging.
I can repeat this about 20% of the time.
One time I tried to plug in the Internet once GM was hanging, but it made no difference.

When I have been running without Internet as I usually do I have found no new problems with V16 that 2014 doesn't have although it seems to use more memory (which is not necessarily bad) and is somewhat slower.

What is certain after this test is that the Internet connection is not cleanly programmed and that we need an update quickly to make this system robust. As we all know Internet can fail at any time and we have no control over that.
I will continue to use my new working protocol, once a week attach to the Internet for just long enough to (hopefully) reset the license.
It sure would be good if we had a positive indication of the state of our license (days left, reset completed, something, anything).
I have found no way up 'til now to know.
Don

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
My broadband is down, but I'm still connected to internal network.

in this configuration Geomagic Design leaves splash screen permanently on screen - it also shows a message that I can never read because it is hidden by the splash screen (trying Alt +TAB shows it fleetingly, but not long enough to read it).

I have confirmed this behaviour on 2 PCs.

Other Geomagic software that uses the same licensing system DOES NOT exhibit this problem.

So apologies to the OP - this problem is real and needs to be fixed. I'll raise a ticket when I get internet access back..... (am doing this via mobile phone).