What's new

Geomagic or Solidworks

indesign

Alibre Super User
Aeromorrison,

Then why are you here? Are you a paid advertiser or is there any other reason you are still using Alibre forum on a software package you no longer use? Just curious because your post sounds oddly like a troller that I have seen many times going from one forum to the next trying to get free software or getting paid by one to ditch the other.

mshideler

"Then why are you here? Are you a paid advertiser or is there any other reason you are still using Alibre forum on a software package you no longer use? Just curious because your post sounds oddly like a troller that I have seen many times going from one forum to the next trying to get free software or getting paid by one to ditch the other."

Perhaps since he was a user of the software he likes to keep tabs on it as maybe he likes to know how each technology is progressing in the event that he needs to or wants to make a change.

I have used multiple tools over my career and I keep an eye on all of them....and I keep hoping that GM gets Alibre straightened out.

aeromorrison

mshideler said:
Perhaps since he was a user of the software he likes to keep tabs on it as maybe he likes to know how each technology is progressing in the event that he needs to or wants to make a change.
I have used multiple tools over my career and I keep an eye on all of them....and I keep hoping that GM gets Alibre straightened out.

mshideler: Exactly. I actually do still use Alibre/GM somewhat for customer work that originally used it where lots of legacy data exists. I use multiple CAD tools and like to stay abreast of important developments that could affect my future plans. Ultimately, GM will more likely end up closer to a product that I may be interested in investing in again once things settle.

I'm certainly not a paid advertiser--just a hard-working engineer like many others on this forum. I've spent a lot of money on GM/Alibre over the past 6 years. I'm just trying to share my story and highlight that the cost disparities with other vendors are not always as large as one might assume. The dialog is really good on this forum, which is one of the reasons I continue to participate.

indesign

Alibre Super User
Sorry if I came across wrong (did not intend to be offensive). I asked mostly as I am admin another forum and was active on several others where we were often trolled by an individual who made similar statements as payment from a company for causing grief in the competition areas. He was banned from most of the sites.

The comments for a user forum are for the aid of those using the software and although respecting the comments of those who wish to offer a better solution it is not an advertising venue for other companies. It is a little difficult to tell the trolls from those who simply wish to offer a way to help others having problems with the software.

tmostad

@indesign: I disagree in part with your post. While I have no use for trolls dragging a forum in the completely wrong direction, this forum is entitled "General Discussion" and anyone who comes here looking for help when having problems with the software is in the wrong place.

I have a real problem with mods who ban posters who present legitimate concerns while keeping those concerns experience-based and civilized. How else can a current, former, or future user learn from others or express their opinions? The mods believe that they are providing a service to the community and the product owner but they are throttling a very valuable source of raw information that the company can either act upon or ignore.

I always embrace the person who responsibly tells me that I "have no clothes". To do otherwise is to risk succumbing to group-think while you blindly drive over the cliff. And since none of my direct communications have resulted in so much as a response, let alone a solution from 3DS, then I will continue to be as negative as I feel until some well-meaning moderator bans me. Yes this post is OT and I apologize for that.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I believe at one time the General Discussion forum description specifically allowed discussion of other cad software as they relate and compare to Alibre Design.

Elrick

One thing I like about geomagic is all the add ons and compatibilities with other CAD software. Another thing that impressed me a lot, and I dont know how good solidworks performs in this field, is the capability to operate CNC machines through AlibreCAM. Its been a very usefull tool to our company! If you dont take the time to practice with GM you wouldnt reach its full potential! So far GM got me where I wanted to be! I think in the end its a value for money issue. You definately get what you want with Geomagic! Those who like spending money should go with SW.

I havent had much interaction with Solidworks but from what I know the surfacing in SW is better. It also appears to be more user friendly. Speedwise it seems to take lot less effort to render 3d models in SW, thus more frames per second. Its got a better engine. I also know its more compatible with Inventor than GM.

Attachments

• GM vs SW 2.png
    GM vs SW 2.png
    650.1 KB · Views: 75

mshideler

"A funny thing is that the draughtsman from Solid Works asked me to finish this drawing because there were something SW couldnt do."

or they didn't know how to do that something in SW.

Elrick

mshideler, I will take that as a compliment! The guy is a genius :) GM could reach some places SW cant.

indesign

Alibre Super User
tmostad said:
@indesign: I disagree in part with your post. While I have no use for trolls dragging a forum in the completely wrong direction, this forum is entitled "General Discussion" and anyone who comes here looking for help when having problems with the software is in the wrong place.

I have a real problem with mods who ban posters who present legitimate concerns while keeping those concerns experience-based and civilized. How else can a current, former, or future user learn from others or express their opinions? The mods believe that they are providing a service to the community and the product owner but they are throttling a very valuable source of raw information that the company can either act upon or ignore.

I always embrace the person who responsibly tells me that I "have no clothes". To do otherwise is to risk succumbing to group-think while you blindly drive over the cliff. And since none of my direct communications have resulted in so much as a response, let alone a solution from 3DS, then I will continue to be as negative as I feel until some well-meaning moderator bans me. Yes this post is OT and I apologize for that.

I will stop at this but just curious as to what you disagreed with? Nothing you say is what I did nor what this forum admins do. My only negative was that a private forum is not an advertising forum for competitors. Advertising is a paid option or for open forums where permitted . I asked in order to clarify that you were not simply here as one of those but as long as you are not then it will drop and there is no problem. Please lets get back to topic.

tmostad

indesign said:
tmostad said:

I will stop at this but just curious as to what you disagreed with? Nothing you say is what I did nor what this forum admins do. My only negative was that a private forum is not an advertising forum for competitors. Advertising is a paid option or for open forums where permitted . I asked in order to clarify that you were not simply here as one of those but as long as you are not then it will drop and there is no problem. Please lets get back to topic.
You asked so I will answer. Your response in case you forgot:

"Then why are you here? Are you a paid advertiser or is there any other reason you are still using Alibre forum on a software package you no longer use?"

Did you not actually read his post? He said that he still uses it occasionally. Your response lacks cognition in the basest sense.

"Just curious because your post sounds oddly like a troller that I have seen many times going from one forum to the next trying to get free software or getting paid by one to ditch the other."

Where did he say was ditching anything? Really, that is a since question. He is actually complimentary re: Alibre but only modestly so. THAT is what I take issue with. If you can't see the folly of your response then you need to step back from your moderator role and gain some perspective.

indesign

Alibre Super User
chillax bud. Take a break and relax. It really is not that big a deal and I don't get paid to do this. So please stay on topic as it makes the mods life much easier and we all need that.

Capri RS

My experience with both Solidworks and Alibre/GM is Solidworks is a better package. That is why Solidworks commands the higher price. Solidworks is more stable, better supported, more widely recognized in the industry, and has more stable integrated add-ons.

At my day job, we use Solid Edge and sometimes we use Solidworks. For our application, both are superior to Alibre/GM. However, for my home machine shop job, I use Alibre. The biggest reason is price. I'm willing to put up with less accessible tech support, fewer add-ons, and less developed features for (what used to be) a huge price difference. In September 2010, I paid $499 for Alibre Design Pro which included sheet metal, Keyshot, and the first year of maintenance. Now, the equivalent "level" software is $1299 and sheet metal is gone.

Further, in August 2011, I paid for another 15 months of maintenance for $299 as Alibre Design Pro was working great for me. Then came the automatic update in late 2011 to upgrade to AD2012. And it quit working. I could not open any files I had created and could not create new ones. Went back and forth with tech support for 8 months and was finally told it wouldn't get fixed. I spent countless hours uninstalling and re-installing AD, trying different video drivers, checking for updates for anything that might be causing problems, etc. My only solution was to buy a new computer, install AD and wait for tech support to re-assign licenses. Solidworks would not have put me through all that. But I spent considerably less than the cost of Solidworks.

If I had employees going through the situation I went through, Solidworks would have been the less expensive package by far. However, I presume my situation was not the common one.

My opinion is that it really comes down to price vs. risk. Solidworks is essentially no risk but you pay for that. Alibre was much less expensive but was a little buggier and had less tech support. For what I paid in 2010, I really like Alibre.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Capri RS said:
Solidworks is ... more widely recognized in the industry ...

This is the biggest load of BS. Not taking a dig at Capri RS but I have heard this too often (from SW users). Anybody who believes that a popular software package will a) make you a better designer, b) get you more clients c) earn you more money faster d) all of the above needs his/her head examined.

I know lots of Solidworks users. They good guys and some are actually pretty good at what they do. But then they'd be good at it using Geomagic Design, SolidEdge, Powershape, etc too. It comes down to knowledge of your industry and familiarity with your software.

I too come from a Solidworks background. It is good, no question about that. I have come to prefer to use Geomagic Design. That didn't happen overnight either. Some of the older forum members may remember how I used to complain about Alibre not doing this or the other. But I learned a lot here on the forum and Max really helped out a lot too. Most importantly though I spent every opportunity learn the software. Result: after three years I can do a project in GD way faster than SW. Point is I had to work at it. Don't think buying Solidworks will magically let you push out triple the workload.

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
Capri RS wrote:
Solidworks is ... more widely recognized in the industry ...

Bigseb wrote:
This is the biggest load of BS. Not taking a dig at Capri RS but I have heard this too often (from SW users). Anybody who believes that a popular software package will a) make you a better designer, b) get you more clients c) earn you more money faster d) all of the above needs his/her head examined.

Sebastion...I generally agree with most of your posiitons, but your response to Capri's statement really does not follow.
CapriRS said that SW was more widly recognized...from where I sit, this is undisputable. He said nothing with regard to your items A), B) or C)....
Whether SWs market position is a result of it product, marketing or support is a whole 'nuther topic....but clearly it has more recognition in Industry.
-jimpulse

Mibe

Alibre Super User
But saying "Solidworks is no risk" is simply a bit optimistic. Believe me, I know...

NO software is "no risk" and both SW have had problems and it will be even more in the future, that's the only thing I know.

PS. I remember one version of Solidworks, pushing out approx. 12(!) servicepacks before it was working again.

Back in 2000-2005, if you were not using ProEngineer, then you had to be an also ran. From about 2005-2010, that was being said about SolidWorks. Today's If you aren't using it, you can't be serious CAD package is (reputedly) Autodesk Inventor. Having been on this carrousel for several decades now, I take all this noise with a sack of salt.

Yes, there are several things for which Alibre/Geomagic Design is extremely good -- and several things for which it is a poor choice. The same thing can be said for every CAD, CAE, and CAM package being sold today.

indesign

Alibre Super User
First off I love using GM and have been using Alibre for several years. I would like to have SW as a means to do a few things GM is not that great at or more to the point that they have add-ons that do it for them. Like most software that brags they are the only one there is more to it. SW has more add-ons that increase it's capability not just the software itself.

A big one for me would be mold making. Nice tools for SW where it's a make your own way in GM. Not that it is very hard mind you but I have found over the years the best ways to attack certain jobs that would otherwise be frustrating. Things like not adding fillets to parts that are boolean subtracted from the mold base so that adding drafts are easier. Then add fillets after drafting. Simple thing but caused a big headache on the first couple goes. As Sebastion says it is what you learn that matters in this type of issues.

SW and Inventor have advantages in that they have a larger base of add-on builders (most of which costs quite a lot to add-on too). My opinion is that GM does 99% of what we need at a fraction of the cost. It does just as good a job if it is in house work. If sharing, well the problem is do we do it in SW, Inventor, Rhino, 3DSync, Pro E, XMD-S, etc.. Each of the major companies we do work for uses a different software in their engineering department. Do we get a copy of each and keep up maintenance? Do we buy as required to match the current company's whim? No we simply use the software that does most of what we need and share using what has become the industry norm. Unless we wish to give away our hard work why would we give a parametric file to the customer unless it is required? Give them a PDF of the work only as that is all they need 99% of the time. Any more than that and we may as well be working on their payroll.

GM does the most for the buck for us. That is what counts for our company based on our customer base. There are the rare occasion though that we needed another program and have had to buy a demo use or rent the software for a month in order to do the job. Alibre just does not do point cloud to surface in a way we could scan and reverse engineer it. 3D System company has a great program (top of the line in that respect) for that but we could not afford it for 120 hrs of work and then be done with it. Could SW do that job? No.