What's new

getting a new laptop

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I've just got a new laptop and compared to the old method of having 2 licenses, I have to say the new method is a right pain in the backside. I've already forgotten to release the license from my desktop and ended up at a customer not being able to get into Alibre and felt very embarrassed and awkward! Finally did it with the remote portal, but it was a right pain getting internet access to do it! I have another package that cost twice as much as Alibre and they let you install on any number of machines with a named commercial license (so you can have it on your desktop, laptop, workshop and development machines with no need to release). So, not a big fan of the current Alibre licensing at all, its too complicated for the single user ... and NO, being a one-man business it is not financially viable to purchase any of the other flexible license options, I may as well just buy 2 licenses! ... which is what I originally paid for when I first purchased Alibre!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I've just got a new laptop and compared to the old method of having 2 licenses, I have to say the new method is a right pain in the backside. I've already forgotten to release the license from my desktop and ended up at a customer not being able to get into Alibre and felt very embarrassed and awkward! Finally did it with the remote portal, but it was a right pain getting internet access to do it! I have another package that cost twice as much as Alibre and they let you install on any number of machines with a named commercial license (so you can have it on your desktop, laptop, workshop and development machines with no need to release). So, not a big fan of the current Alibre licensing at all, its too complicated for the single user ... and NO, being a one-man business it is not financially viable to purchase any of the other flexible license options, I may as well just buy 2 licenses! ... which is what I originally paid for when I first purchased Alibre!

We're not tyrants. :D It's a single seat as the default to generally prevent abuse. If you have a compelling reason why having only one license active at a time is highly disruptive to your one-man workflow, give us a shout and I'm sure we can help you out.

I have another package that cost twice as much as Alibre and they let you install on any number of machines with a named commercial license (so you can have it on your desktop, laptop, workshop and development machines with no need to release).

Incidentally, when we had named licenses way back, we got a lot of feedback that it was old fashioned and cumbersome, generally inconsistent with how businesses operate today, tedious to change around when people quit and are replaced, etc. We also ran into scenarios all the time where someone with 3 seats on their one named user licenses actually had 3 people using it all day every day. Often they didn't even know they couldn't do that. This is why we default to a slightly more conservative position now, though like I said we are willing to work with you if you can reasonably demonstrate our licensing isn't meeting your needs.

Drutort

If you do not have internet access that is a bummer, but having the Mobility Upgrade is really nice, pretty much if I have cellular service (provided internet data works too) then I just tether/hot spot to my phone and it works great.

Pretty much do not have to worry about releasing as it does it so long as I closed my program and had internet access when I did it. Has worked about 95% of the time

simonb65

Alibre Super User
@Max, I appreciate the issues from a developer/supplier perspective (being one myself), and to be honest, I'm not sure what the 'best' approach is to protect your product from abuse, and it is a fine balance between protecting your interests and usability. In the case of corporations and large businesses, I can see the possibility of abuse. I can also see the scenario of ex-employees disappearing with a paid license key! But the single user is not the same model. Why not have a license system that lets you authenticate from a number of sources (say 3 ... i.e. Desktop, Laptop, Workshop) and let the server determine if more than one are being used at the same time. I have SKY TV (in the UK) which also allows you to connect and stream to 2 named mobile devices (Phone, Tablet or Laptop, etc). I know it's not the same model as 2 or 3 engineers squeezing the life out of 1 license and loosing you revenue, but it just works.

I use Rowley CrossWorks daily for my embedded ARM development, both in the office and on customers sites. It's a tool twice the price of Alibre and their named developer commercial license states ...
"Commercial named developer licenses are licensed per developer not per computer. As such, a single developer that has purchased a single CrossWorks license, can activate the software on as many machines as needed to develop and support their applications. Typically, a developer will activate CrossWorks on a number of machines e.g Lab PC, Laptop, Home PC" .. from https://sites.fastspring.com/rowley/product/crossworksforarm

This model is PERFECT for me and has worked and looked after me for over 10 years. Yes it's based on trust. You still have to get an activation key for each platform, but most importantly, it works for them and it works for me. If I had to use a system like the Alibre Licensing with that product, I would have thrown my PC and Laptop through a window by now.
The original Alibre model was also PERFECT for me. Now, as I said before, it's just a pain. For my use case, it's a big step backwards. I'd be interested to know what the usage model use case of your users is and what they all really think about the current system.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Why not have a license system that lets you authenticate from a number of sources (say 3 ... i.e. Desktop, Laptop, Workshop) and let the server determine if more than one are being used at the same time.

Hi Simon, we do have that - that's the Mobility license. As you point out, it does require our server and thus an Internet connection at startup and shutdown to function though. Also, an upgrade to that is certainly nowhere near the cost of an additional license as you alluded to earlier. In the US, the upgrade is for example about 10% of the cost of a license of Expert.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Also, an upgrade to that is certainly nowhere near the cost of an additional license as you alluded to earlier. In the US, the upgrade is for example about 10% of the cost of a license of Expert.
I am a bit loathed to pay extra for functionality that I had when I first bought the product, which has been removed and now re-introduced under a different name at a cost ... think about it! For new customers, it's a great licensing model and the choice is theirs, but for existing long term customers ... really!! We never saw a price reduction to reflect the loss of functionality/flexibility, so why do we see it when it's re-introduced. What next, remove 2D drawing or sheet metal and re-introduce them as additional cost licensed add-on's (no wait ... that was a joke! ... that's Apples product cycle model isn't it ;))

Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I am a bit loathed to pay extra for functionality that I had when I first bought the product, which has been removed and now re-introduced under a different name at a cost ... think about it! For new customers, it's a great licensing model and the choice is theirs, but for existing long term customers ... really!! We never saw a price reduction to reflect the loss of functionality/flexibility, so why do we see it when it's re-introduced. What next, remove 2D drawing or sheet metal and re-introduce them as additional cost licensed add-on's (no wait ... that was a joke! ;))

Simon, I get where you are coming from, but I have:

1) Shown that we have the type of licensing you want
2) Shown the pricing for it is not as egregious as stated
3) Offered to help you out if you contact us - max@alibre.com

Take the win!

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Take the win!
So the win is for me to spend another $200 on something I already had! That's like taking you car for a service, them taking out the spare wheel (because the car doesn't come with a spare anymore), then charging you a 'one off' fee to buy a spare wheel!
Forgive my ignorance and bluntness Max, but if you really want to help me out, just do what you need to do.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Max, but if you really want to help me out, just do what you need to do.

At the risk of sounding repetitive...

If you have a compelling reason why having only one license active at a time is highly disruptive to your one-man workflow, give us a shout and I'm sure we can help you out.

This is why we default to a slightly more conservative position now, though like I said we are willing to work with you if you can reasonably demonstrate our licensing isn't meeting your needs.

3) Offered to help you out if you contact us - max@alibre.com

Email me :D

Last edited: