What's new

getting back to assembly mode after editing component

concept

This is probably a silly question but after you are finished editing a component in an assembly, how do you get back to the assembly mode?
I haven't used Alibre in over 6 years so pardon my forgetfulness.
Thanks

concept

Okay, I think I found one way - right-click on the part in the history tree and select "Edit root assembly". In Solidworks there is a symbol in the upper right side of the edit part-in-assy window that you click on to exit this mode. I think that if Alibre included this method or returning to the assy, it would be more intuitive than it is, currently.

JST

Alibre Super User
Saving your edited part from the edit window also returns you. I do not recall it "edit root" will save the part. I do not think it does.

I use "edit root assembly" to get back if I just want to get out of the edit mode.

It is VERY easy.
Simply close your part window and you are back.
Remember to save your assembly as this saves your part too.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
'Getting back' to the parent assembly is done differently depending upon the edit mode in use ('Edit Here' or 'Edit in Separate Window').

The methods are explained in the Help file, under
Editing Parts and Subassemblies in an Assembly Workspace

concept

Saving your edited part from the edit window also returns you. I do not recall it "edit root" will save the part. I do not think it does.

I use "edit root assembly" to get back if I just want to get out of the edit mode.

JST, I just tried another edit to a component within the assembly, then without clicking on the save button, selected "edit root assy". My change to the component was saved.

concept

'Getting back' to the parent assembly is done differently depending upon the edit mode in use ('Edit Here' or 'Edit in Separate Window').

The methods are explained in the Help file, under
Editing Parts and Subassemblies in an Assembly Workspace
Thanks, David. I will check it out.
I did notice that wrapping text on a cylindrical or conical surface is not yet possible. I can always simply create text in the drawing and then add a note to engrave or etch to a certain height and location.
Fusion 360 does now have a wrap feature but I am not too impressed with other aspects of this program.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Thanks, David. I will check it out.
I did notice that wrapping text on a cylindrical or conical surface is not yet possible. I can always simply create text in the drawing and then add a note to engrave or etch to a certain height and location.
Fusion 360 does now have a wrap feature but I am not too impressed with other aspects of this program.
I believe it's possible to use sheet metal to wrap lettering around a cylinder. Not sure about cones. $295 gets you Moi3D. With that you kind wrap, twist and overlay to your heart's content.

concept

Thanks, bigseb. So if you use MOI3D, can you save the file so that the wrapped feature shows up in your drawing?
The wrap to which I refer would come in handy if 3D printing but is not absolutely necessary for a machined part.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Moi3D is a completely different software. Yoiu can import that format (3dm) into AD, and then create your drawing.

Are you familiar with Rhino? Moi3D is similar. Has some great modelling functions but no assemblies, drawings and isn't parametric.

concept

I see; thanks. I am familiar with Rhino from about 20 years ago. I would think that since Fusion 360 has wrapping capability, AD should. Perhaps next year? :)

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I see; thanks. I am familiar with Rhino from about 20 years ago. I would think that since Fusion 360 has wrapping capability, AD should. Perhaps next year? :)
Would be nice. Can't really compare the two though as they seem to be directed at different users.

concept

I already know Solidworks fairly well but am currently test-driving:
IronCAD
Fusion 360
Alibre
I did use Alibre for a while, back more than 7 years ago but have forgotten some of it. Upgrades may have had something to do with some of my slow-learning.