What's new

"Ghost" a part?

Toybuilder

I sometimes work on assemblies where I need to align an "inside part" to line up with features that surround them. In the beginning stages, I just eyeball the placement by moving the parts around, but I have to constantly hide/unhide parts. It would be nice if there was a way to turn a part into a "ghost" where you can see it faintly, but you can't grab it (i.e. it doesn't get selected when the mouse is over the part). AFAICT, there is not a way to do this currently?

oldfox

Alibre Super User
I think this should work for what you are wanting to do. It has to be done at the PART level, not in the assembly. Just open the part, go to
COLOR PROPERTIES and adjust the OPACITY. This example is a part of my User Gallery album which is currently on page 13 of the gallery. It is
titled Modular CNC Router. Hope this works for you.
As for moving the inside part, if it isn't constrained, you should be able to select it in the Explorer and then just move it in the workspace with your mouse. No need to click on it in the workspace.

Attachments

• Jellyfish Drive Assy.jpg
    Jellyfish Drive Assy.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 19

JST

Alibre Super User
Is the problem just seeing the parts to which things need to be constrained, OR is the issue getting access to click on the features you want to use as references?

Because if the part is not 100% opaque, it STILL is selected before one that is behind it. But if the selection can be shifted to the part behind, then making it partly transparent would allow seeing to work with the selection. I rarely use the selection sequence so I do not recall how it works.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
You can right click over the line and use the "Advanced Selector..." to pick things behind.
Or
Change the selection filter to "Select Edges" to narrow down what you want to select.