What's new

Giant Red 'X'

jhiker

Alibre Super User
I'm running 32-bit Alibre on 64-bit Win7.
Latest Alibre and latest DirectX/video drivers, etc.
Whenever the computer comes out of sleep mode I get the 'Giant Red X' and Alibre locks up.

It's a royal pain in the arse.
Is there anything I can do except:

Save my work every time I leave my desk...
Don't let it go to sleep....

How many others are seeing this - if it's widespread we really shouldn't have to put up with it - is there a solution?
:shock:

Attachments

• Capture_Sleep.JPG
    Capture_Sleep.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 30

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
I havent a clue, but I could not help but notice that another user ( 762x51) posted similar symptoms just 13 minutes after you did.
Might be worth comparing systems & setups if no one else posts a solution

bigseb

Alibre Super User
When did this start? You've been an Alibre user for some time and this is the first time you had this, right? Did this start after you updated your graphics drivers? Possibly the graphics driver is corrupted. See if you can't do a system restore to before this started. Then update everything one at a time to find what caused it.

Good luck.

jhiker

Alibre Super User
bigseb said:
When did this start? You've been an Alibre user for some time and this is the first time you had this, right? Did this start after you updated your graphics drivers? Possibly the graphics driver is corrupted. See if you can't do a system restore to before this started. Then update everything one at a time to find what caused it.

Good luck.

Hi Seb,
Hard to say.. I had a new computer in December and I installed Alibre 2012 on that - so I've not run Alibre 2012 on any other hardware.
That's when the Giant Red X made it's appearance.

Never happened with any previous incarnation of Alibre on my previous PC(s).

rollin45

Have you tried to adjust the power save settings? I had a bit of trouble with my system going to sleep and the lazy dog wouldn't wake up properly,, had to do some resetting after an automatic online upgrade.

rollin'

bigseb

Alibre Super User
jhiker said:
bigseb said:

Good luck.

Hi Seb,
Hard to say.. I had a new computer in December and I installed Alibre 2012 on that - so I've not run Alibre 2012 on any other hardware.

If its a brand new computer that you don't really have much experience with then its most likely the PC. Double check the graphics drivers (did you download the latest driver or simply use the one that came with the PC). On a side note, what did you get, spec-wise?

cherkey

I have had this too and have related it to win7. I just never brought it up and just dealt with it... I guess I'm just too passive :p
I say win7 because it was with this new machine when it seemed to have started. New machine, same vid card as had been using.

scotte

I've been having this issue for the last 3 releases on 2 different computers, vista & win7. It's been more frequent w/ v2012. Installed latest display drivers. Most crashes occur on wake-up but sometimes while working. It may be something with my system settings, but Alibre is the common thread.
Scott E.

jhiker

Alibre Super User
bigseb said:
jhiker said:
bigseb said:

Good luck.

Hi Seb,

If its a brand new computer that you don't really have much experience with then its most likely the PC. Double check the graphics drivers (did you download the latest driver or simply use the one that came with the PC). On a side note, what did you get, spec-wise?

Hi Seb,
I've updated the graphic drivers so I'm sure they're up do date. I'm wondering if it's some kind of 32bit Alibre/64-bit Win7 conflict?
Spec-wise I got a Dell XPS8300 i7-2600 (3.4GHz) with 8Mb RAM & a GeForce GTX 560 Ti. It runs Keyshot really well.
As an experiment I've just changed the Power management mode in the NV control panel from 'adaptive' to 'max performance' to see whether it makes any difference.

jhiker

Alibre Super User
If that makes no difference I'll change the power plan options to turn the monitor off but prevent the PC from going to sleep :idea:

JGPIPE

Just to chip in with my 2 cents...

That occurs to me in drafting when my model becomes too large (ie components with threads on etc).

Also that occurs when I have CTRL ALT DELETED.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Gleaned from other earlier threads on this subject.

Open GL screensavers can trigger this. (try turning off screensaver, or find one that isn't Open GL).

Sleep sometimes causes Alibre to 'lose contact' with DirectX - only affects some systems. No easy definite fix apart from don't let it sleep (hibernate may be preferable).

jhiker

Alibre Super User
DavidJ said:
Gleaned from other earlier threads on this subject.

Open GL screensavers can trigger this. (try turning off screensaver, or find one that isn't Open GL).

Sleep sometimes causes Alibre to 'lose contact' with DirectX - only affects some systems. No easy definite fix apart from don't let it sleep (hibernate may be preferable).

Well, I don't have a screensaver, so that rules that out - the monitor just goes into 'energy saving mode' and blacks out.
It must be that Alibre is 'losing contact' with DirectX - odd :shock:

Does it constitute a 'bug' or is it 'just one of those things'.....
Are Alibre even aware of it, I wonder? Max?

kdevoe

I had the same problem a couple of years ago and it was with the screen saver. After screwing with it few a while I discovered that all I had to do was Minimize the window I was in and then Maximize the window. After doing this it all came back to normal and I lost nothing.

Kevin

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff,

Yes Alibre are aware - one of the posts I looked at before making my comment above was from aa58.