What's new

Global Parameters. How to define them, how to link a part or assembly to them and what they can do.

Ex Machina

Here's a video I did on Global Parameters. I show an assembly that I have made Global Parameters for and then I design a steering wheel from scratch, make an assembly with it and its bolts and define the bolt count as a global parameter. Take a look at the video and let me know what you think and how you use Global Parameters!

P.S. I have sped up the entire design of the steering wheel. If you want me to upload that as a separate video let me know. Also, if you find that annoying, also let me know. I am on the fence whether it's funny or annoying.
P.S.2 Download the packaged files for the assemblies shown in the video and let me know if you have any questions about them!

Attachments

• Rally Steering Assembly.AD_PKG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
P.S. I have sped up the entire design of the steering wheel. If you want me to upload that as a separate video let me know. Also, if you find that annoying, also let me know. I am on the fence whether it's funny or annoying.
Another good example video...
I think having the steering wheel modeling as a separate video would be beneficial to those not well versed in Lofts and Sweeps. You added some extra shape to the guide curve that bears explaining.

Generally I'm not one to like videos that are sped up, if I want to get through a section I can hit fast forward on the player. Speeding things up in the recording could miss something that would be of use to someone less familiar to the process or feature being demonstrated.

I wouldn't worry about the video being too long, I've seen some tutorial videos are over an hour.

Ex Machina

Hey Harold.

Thanks for that comment. That's exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.

The reason I sped it up is that it has come to my attention that videos with lower percentages of viewing get dropped by YouTube and not shown to any more new people.

I'm still a complete newbie I this, but imagine that if I had left the steering wheel design in at normal speed the video was around 28min long. And I thought that people would ignore it just based on that.

But I agree, the result is not to my liking either if I'm honest. Although you can put the video at half speed and it look normal actually . Maybe I should go for quality instead of more views. This YouTube thing is not easy...

gwbruce

I agree with Harold. Not a big fan of the sped up videos. Also I don't watch some videos because I don't want to sit there for an hour sometimes. If I know that the video is sped up I can always slow it down and watch it to see what I need to see. Konstantinos you do what you need to do and I'll make the adjustments on my end. I really enjoy your tutorials. They have helped me out a lot. Oh and by the way, I am interested in the "boolean tap" you created that you mentioned in the steering wheel video. Didn't think I would catch on to that did ya. LOL My Boolean thread dies are helping me with some things so a tap might be a good addition to the libray.

Ex Machina

Haha, OK cool catch Bruce. I didn't linger on that too long, that is the truth...

I'm still thinking about making a video about that. I also have a couple more things to make videos about that might look interesting. But maybe a video like that would also be interesting. Even though it's a really similar workflow to the boolean threading die video.

Ex Machina

By the way guys, I made another video where I show how I designed the steering wheel in more detail. I'm not going to make a new thread about it, I'll just link it here.

Let me know what you think.