What's new

Global Parameters in Atom3D

frogydiak

Hello! I'm creating a project with multiple parts and wanted to create a global parameters so I can reuse parameters in each parts. Is it something possible in Atom3D version? When I tried to select global parameters in the dropdown and then define my parameters, after clicking OK all the values I set as Global Parameters are gone and everything is under All Parameters. Am I missing something? Also, I don't have that f(x) icon just below the X (delete) button:

1700458663923.png

Thanks!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Global Parameters are not included in Atom3D.

To see if a feature is included in Atom go to the Help manual to see if it is indicated by the highlighted name.

1700460737148.png

tre4b

Well that is illogical, I'd have assumed it would go the other way! Wonder what the reasoning is around that?

Do you know if there is a way to copy the parameters from one part into another part? Not having global params seems to make assemblies more difficult to manage.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Well that is illogical, I'd have assumed it would go the other way! Wonder what the reasoning is around that?

Do you know if there is a way to copy the parameters from one part into another part? Not having global params seems to make assemblies more difficult to manage.
There has to be a feature break at some point in the product. Atom 3D is aimed at hobbyists (probably creating simple 3D parts and assemblies of parts), not professional or expert power users. As with many products, if you want to have more powerful features or enablers do things the easy and more efficient and productive way ... sadly, you pay more! Even Expert users didn't have this functionality until a few years ago! It's all pretty logical to me :cool:

tre4b

It's normally easier to implement global variables than variables with scope. I guess that could lead to horrible issues I guess if all parameters were available everywhere. I actually got around it by bringing a reference line in from a part and dimensioning it as a driven value. Messy but keeps the two linked.

BTW the manual thing above does not seem to line up everywhere. I am trying to figure out how to delete a coincident constraint so I looked it up in the help.

1703004760143.png

From what was said above I should not have coincident constraints, but I do I have been using them a lot during the time I trialed Atom

Ex Machina

It's normally easier to implement global variables than variables with scope. I guess that could lead to horrible issues I guess if all parameters were available everywhere. I actually got around it by bringing a reference line in from a part and dimensioning it as a driven value. Messy but keeps the two linked.

BTW the manual thing above does not seem to line up everywhere. I am trying to figure out how to delete a coincident constraint so I looked it up in the help.

View attachment 40378

From what was said above I should not have coincident constraints, but I do I have been using them a lot during the time I trialed Atom
So, you cannot "Delete" a coincident constraint. What you do is click and hold on the node that you want to unconstraint (delete the coincident), hold ctrl and move the mouse. That will immediately cancel the coincident and move node. Please note, this will break all of the coincident constraints placeed on that node, if there are more than one.

JASII

Atom 3D is aimed at hobbyists... not professional or expert power users...
... and hence my dilemma as I evaluate the Atom 3D trial. I am a hobbyist (retired IBM '78-'09) with 'power user' mentality looking only to produce unique personal household items (sample pics attached). No W4/SE income (will mess up my taxes :). My perspective: Once you have had a taste of WIN 10/11, it is hard to go back to XP!

I seek forgiveness for this slightly off-topic post. :cool:

Attachments

• CNCdustBoot.jpg
    CNCdustBoot.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 17
  • GrinderTampStation.jpg
    GrinderTampStation.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 17

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User

View attachment 40378

That image is of the 3D Sketch Coincident Constraints and Atom3D does not have 3d sketch ability:
https://help.alibre.com/articles/alibre-help-v27/sketching-3d-sketching-3d-sketch-constraints-coincident-constraints

The one for 2D Sketch Coincident Constraints is this one:
https://help.alibre.com/articles/alibre-help-v27/sketching-constraints-coincident-constraints

tre4b

Thank you all for your input, clearly I need to learn help manual as well!

Always a challenge When you are a power user in work life on someone elses bugdet. I've been using freecad for years and tried alibre trial to see if it was worth paying for something. Just being able to stop worrying about referential integrity and the support from the vendor and this forum have convinced me to shell out the cash.

sz0k30

Atom 3D is aimed at hobbyists (probably creating simple 3D parts and assemblies of parts), not professional or expert power users. As with many products, if you want to have more powerful features or enablers do things the easy and more efficient and productive way ... sadly, you pay more! Even Expert users didn't have this functionality until a few years ago! It's all pretty logical to me :cool:
Used to be a Designer, now a hobbyist. I still like to play around to help keep my old mind working. Design parts for myself & friends, but even years ago I had to pony up for the "Expert" version cause I can't do without "Sheet Metal" and the ability to do flat patterns.

frogydiak

I am getting used to Alibre after few weeks of using it, unfortunately, the global parameters is really not available with Atom 3D version. I guess pro version is a way to go. Since I am a poor hobbyist :p I'll wait for a big discount this year to get the pro license. Global parameters is just a very very useful tool even with hobby projects in my opinion. I usually create a 3d printable machine parts and unfortunately with Alibre, at least with Atom 3D I cannot find a way to group sketches and make it as separate 3d object (Component in Fusion 360), so, if your model have several parts, each parts has to be a single file. That is why Global Parameters is so important, currently, I have to recreate parameters each time I create a new part.

Ex Machina

I am getting used to Alibre after few weeks of using it, unfortunately, the global parameters is really not available with Atom 3D version. I guess pro version is a way to go. Since I am a poor hobbyist :p I'll wait for a big discount this year to get the pro license. Global parameters is just a very very useful tool even with hobby projects in my opinion. I usually create a 3d printable machine parts and unfortunately with Alibre, at least with Atom 3D I cannot find a way to group sketches and make it as separate 3d object (Component in Fusion 360), so, if your model have several parts, each parts has to be a single file. That is why Global Parameters is so important, currently, I have to recreate parameters each time I create a new part.
Also, bear in mind that you can reference another part in an assembly to drive sketches of the one you are currently editing. And you don't need global parameters for that. Just like Fusion you just project the edges into the sketch you are currently editing and select maintain associativity.

frogydiak

@Ex Machina really? So you are saying that I can open 2 files and copy a reference lines from File 1 and paste it in File 1 and the when I change the sketch in File 1 that reference will also change in File 2? Is that what you mean? If it is, then is is cool then. Well, I did that in one of the parts I created but I didn't notice that when I change the original file where I copied the reference lines, it reflected in my parts so I recreated the parameter table just to make sure.

I just explored Assembly, I think what you meant is instead of creating separate files for each parts, you create/draw the parts in the Assembly, right?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User

Ex Machina

@Ex Machina really? So you are saying that I can open 2 files and copy a reference lines from File 1 and paste it in File 1 and the when I change the sketch in File 1 that reference will also change in File 2? Is that what you mean? If it is, then is is cool then. Well, I did that in one of the parts I created but I didn't notice that when I change the original file where I copied the reference lines, it reflected in my parts so I recreated the parameter table just to make sure.

I just explored Assembly, I think what you meant is instead of creating separate files for each parts, you create/draw the parts in the Assembly, right?
Yes I did mean in the context of an assembly.

Working with the Excel add-in is a major boost for the potential of Atom 3D. Check out the articles David linked. It's really worth it.

JASII

with Atom 3D I cannot find a way to group sketches and make it as separate 3d object (Component in Fusion 360), so, if your model have several parts, each parts has to be a single file
I, too, am coming from Fusion environment to design, in my case, multi-part objects for a 5 tool 3D Printer. Each part being a different color component of a single object. So this may work for you as I believe you are designing multiple components' related to each other that you want to print separately.

In a nutshell, I simply design all of the components in one file, and then use 'Suppress' to isolate each one and save them as separate STL's for printing. The key is that Atom3D only exports the visible features, not necessarily the entire design. Here's a simple example:

Here is the final design for visual reference:
1705394373827.png

....I then right clicked on 'Nozzle Fill' feature and 'Suppress' it...

1705394627072.png

...then Export as STL. Then (un)'Supress' 'Nozzel Fill' and use Shift to select range of features of 'Base' object and right click 'Suppress'.

1705394951655.png

...I then export as an STL file. When I go to 3D print objects, select all objects to open in slicer and you should get something like:

1705395444254.png

In my case I say Yes to get a single print object with imbedded parts (Left object). In your case you can say No to get each part printed separately (Right two objects) (or just open each one individually to print)
1705395613787.png

Hope this helps. I have more complex designs but I think this is representative of my work flow. Jerry.