What's new

Global parameters linked to Excel

beastro

Hi,
Is there a way to link a global parameter file to excel? I see the green icon in global parameters, but don't seem to be able to link the two together.

Generally speaking, when do you use global parameters and when do you use excel to drive a design?

Thanks

berthold

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
That would be huge asset to link data sheet to global parameter. Using the math functions of the data sheet would help with complex part modeling.

I use open office, so a link for both would be great.

beastro

That would be huge asset to link data sheet to global parameter. Using the math functions of the data sheet would help with complex part modeling.

Precisely. That is why I am asking, as I found the calculations in global parameters rather cumbersome...

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Simple answer - YES, your can drive a GLP file from a spreadsheet. I've done it.

The confusing bit is that the button is for re-linking after moving files, the initial linking is done from using the Excel add-in.

beastro

Simple answer - YES, your can drive a GLP file from a spreadsheet. I've done it.

The confusing bit is that the button is for re-linking after moving files, the initial linking is done from using the Excel add-in.
Ah, OK. Thanks!!
I like to use the calculation facilities of the spreadsheet, but the actual design seems to work better using global parameters to directly drive the design.

Thanks!

beastro -- A couple of points: (1) They are not parameters, they are variables. (2) They are not Global in nature, they are applied to a Project. If you keep those thing in mind, they are much more understandable operationally.

Drutort

im trying to link the spreadsheet to GLP, but I can not figure out how exactly? can someone tell me exact steps (clicks)

Thanks.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Check the Help file - Using a Spreadsheet to Drive Designs. The process is identical just link to a GLP file rather than a part or assembly.

Drutort

Check the Help file - Using a Spreadsheet to Drive Designs. The process is identical just link to a GLP file rather than a part or assembly.

for whatever reason the .ad_glp file does not show up and does not seem to be a supported format, no way unless I rename it?

I looked at the help many times, this is what I did not get, in step 7, session if I click on ... (browse) to select a file the ad_glp file is not showen, even with the GLP file open it is not shown as active, only .AD_ASM, AD_PRT, AD_SMP show up as extensions that are supported o_O

update:

well I guess it would help that I go to the excel addon folder in Alibre and reinstall the add in, now the extension shows up! I thought that maybe it would install its self on its own with updates and what not... guess not
:)

running latest Alibre version

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
I Have been trying but without success.
im trying to link the spreadsheet to GLP, but I can not figure out how exactly? can someone tell me exact steps (clicks)
Oh yes, Step by Step.
Only one video I find yesterday:
May be is from Jonathan:) Hey Jonathan, when a video with Spreadsheet (Excel & OpenOffice) :)

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Linking spreadsheet to GLP is just like linking spreadsheet to part - see this video (but note it is rather old, the add-in installation section is outdated)

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Linking spreadsheet to GLP is just like linking spreadsheet to part - see this video (but note it is rather old, the add-in installation section is outdated)
Yes, that I have tried but without success. something is wrong in my software. I have Excel 2007. May be this is the issue. I have doing thinks since version 2011 so I know the process, but anyway Thanks DavidJ

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The 'xla' style addins only work in 32 bit versions of Alibre (which don't exist any more). That might explain things.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello DavidJ,

haven't tried but:
from actual AlibreDesign Program folder the ExcelAddin_ReadMe.txt:

The Alibre Design Excel Add-In allows you to control the Parameter values of a Part, Sheet Metal Part, or Assembly using a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. Please follow these guidelines for using the correct version of the Add-In for your version of Excel.

For all versions of Office before 2010, use the file "Alibre Design Add-In.xla" found in this folder.

IMPORTANT
For Excel versions 2010 or newer, run the appropriate add-in installer, setup.exe, found under the Excel2010+ folder:
If you are running the 32-bit version of Excel 2010 (or newer), be sure to run the add-in installer in the sub-folder Excel2010+\32Bit.
If you are running the 64-bit version of Excel 2010 (or newer), be sure to run the add-installer in the sub-folder Excel2010+\64Bit.

Additional information on how to use the Alibre Design Add-In for Excel is available in the Alibre Design Help.

Isn't that up to date?

Regards
Stefan

GIOV

Alibre Super User
The 'xla' style add ins only work in 32 bit versions of Alibre (which don't exist any more). That might explain things.
Maybe this is the problem because GLP(GLV) runs without problems directly to the assembly as in this example but when I want to make a connection from excel to GLP(GLV) it shows a message: "Choose a design session!" so nothing happens following your instructions (AD2018.2+ excel 2007). Am I wrong about something?
upload_2019-1-17_13-17-7.png

Last edited:

Drutort

all i know is that I had to reinstall the excel addin because mine was out of date, even though I have latest alibre installed

im running 64bit alibre, and 32bit excel 2010

MCATI

OK, seems no really answer here, I just tried today 2023 (see this topic already 4 yrs old), it works, and still trying to learn how to make things simpler. Below is the information anyone who like this or just strength my memory.
1- Install alibre excel add-in: Find Alibre folder, \Program file--> \Alibre Design 26... --> \Excel2010+ --> \64Bit --> setup.exe
2- Open an Alibre assembly, link the Global Parameters File. (See alibre video
)
3- When Alibre assembly file , and Global Parameters File are all open, creat an excel file, maybe name as: xxx.xlsx
4- Go to menu : Add-ins (Only after you installed the add-in in step 1), you will see a big square "f(x) Parameters alibre design", .
5- Press it, you will find "Session", chose or it'll automatically showing the Global Parameters File.
6- Then the Excel linked with Global Parameters File.
Good Luck!

GIOV

Alibre Super User
SDMCATI,
For update the design:
1.-Open the Assemble WorkSpace and re-Linked all GP(Variables) if necessary;
2.-Go to the excel, change the value and Update All;
3.-Go to the GP(Variables) and Update Designs;
4.-Save the Assemble file.
1682747380662.png
1682747745423.png