What's new

Global Parameters

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Quick question... is there no way to go back in and edit/change the parameter type? you really have to delete it and start again? *big sigh*

Attachments

• MODIFY.JPG
    MODIFY.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 19

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Not really - though you may be able to 'cheat', by judicious calculation - for example divide your 2.1" by 1" to get a scale value of 2.1.

Probably quicker to delete and re-enter.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Next question... is there a way to make the "comments" field viewable? Otherwise it's just random info that you can only see if you open/edit the parameter.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Next question... is there a way to make the "comments" field viewable? Otherwise it's just random info that you can only see if you open/edit the parameter.
I've griped about this before. Several times. It's a shame this doesn't get addressed, would make GPs so much better to use.

markporter

Agreed. I've put this in the V23 request thread, and the "suggest a feature" tool. The whole UI around dimensions and GPs needs a shake-up. I live in hope...

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Next question... this is my first effort in creating "smart" assemblies. Am I correct in stating that I must use the same GP file for the entire assembly? Example shown, there are 3 parts and 1 assembly, within the master assembly. If I want them all to update at the same time, they must all be linked to one singular GP file? Is there any way to have subsets in the GP file? Doesn't appear to be, but thought I would ask. For example, I have a top punch, bottom punch, die pad, and a core rod sub-assembly shown. For the "standard" dimensions for those items, it would be nice if those details/dimensions could be located somewhere specific to each of those individual parts. Should I just use the equation editor within each individual part for those items???

Thanks. Trying to get this right the first time.

Attachments

• assembly.JPG
    assembly.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 12

bigseb

Alibre Super User
... Am I correct in stating that I must use the same GP file for the entire assembly? Example shown, there are 3 parts and 1 assembly, within the master assembly...
Exactly. You link the GP file to each part. Update the GP file and the parts update.
Is there any way to have subsets in the GP file? Doesn't appear to be, but thought I would ask. For example, I have a top punch, bottom punch, die pad, and a core rod sub-assembly shown. For the "standard" dimensions for those items, it would be nice if those details/dimensions could be located somewhere specific to each of those individual parts. Should I just use the equation editor within each individual part for those items???
Sort of. When you link a GP file to your part those parameters can be used with the EE values. So there's plenty scope. And of course you can always add more values to the GP file.