What's new

GM Version 16?

GaretDH

Just got an email: Thank you for your purchase or renewal from 3D Systems. Includes a link t GM version 16, looks like. Is this a release?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - but do read the licensing information carefully before trying to install it.

GaretDH

Yeah. I'm noticing it says only two installs. I've been grandfathered to three in the past (down from my original five). I wonder if I'll continue to be grandfathered in.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
Appears to be a general update. I got the same email just moments ago...

I got funneled down to 2 installs as well. And I'm wondering of this part may be problematic for those of us that were grandfathered in:

Attachments

• 2014-03-11_13-53-43.png
    2014-03-11_13-53-43.png
    13 KB · Views: 2,745

dwc

Alibre Super User
It sure would be nice if they could get their nomenclature straight.
My account says I have the right to:
Geomagic Design Professional 15.0, plus: Translate

My installed program says it is:
Geomagic Design™ Elements 2014
Geomagic Design Version:[ PRODUCTVERSION 15,0,2,15088 ] 32-bit

Update says I am up-to-date.

So as I see it "Geomagic Design Professional 15.0, plus: Translate" is the same as "Geomagic Design™ Elements 2014"

Say what ?
Don

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I got this email too. Really threw me. No hints, no nothing. Just wham, bam, V16.

Also in the activation code it says QTY-2. Does this mean I've lost a license? That's not good. I can live with two but a deals a deal, right? I remember being promised 5 installs (overkill imo), 3 was just fine...

I have email support about this, hopefully clarification is on its way...

bigseb

Alibre Super User
dwc said:

So as I see it "Geomagic Design Professional 15.0, plus: Translate" is the same as "Geomagic Design™ Elements 2014"

Say what ?
Don

Perhaps they have updated they're systems to such a degree that the original download channels are not updated i.e. everything goes through a new system/server...

Who can say... :|

GaretDH

I'm waiting to hear from Sales, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Reading the "What's New" doc, pretty much all of the updates are geared towards 3D printing, mesh imports, and scanning. As expected, it seems the software is slowly becoming a front end for 3D printers.

No more mechanical improvements or bug fixes?

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
What do you think of this point?

"4.6 Use After License Term. You may not use the Software after expiration of the License Term."

This sounds like we no longer have perpetual use of the software that is installed.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
bigseb said:
dwc said:

Say what ?
Don

Perhaps they have updated they're systems to such a degree that the original download channels are not updated i.e. everything goes through a new system/server...

Who can say... :|
Got another email saying pretty much the same thing. There will be no new updates coming from alibre.com. New licensing schema.
Here's the web version of the email

normc

My first email that I got from them indicated they will shut down Alibre.com. I hope they do not shut down this forum, otherwise we will loose our communication to each other. :?

cherkey

I also received an email, but no mention of a v16... and nothing really saying, 'Hey! Here's the next version to install!' Just that it's a new method of licensing and a free upgrade, which made me think the upgrade was mainly for the licensing.

I also haven't received an Activation Code?

Dcrouch9

I've thought all along they bought Alibre to gear it toward making plastic toys and baubles.

Looks like they are going to stick it to us long standing serious design users.

Andrew Roth

I also got this email. Somewhat confusing, to say the least.
I did not go as far as downloading.
Where did it say that the number of licenses was reduced to 2? if so thats just wrong.
Any link to other updates besides 3D Printing Enhancements?
Welcome to Alibre Gone

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
cherkey said:
I also received an email, but no mention of a v16... and nothing really saying, 'Hey! Here's the next version to install!' Just that it's a new method of licensing and a free upgrade, which made me think the upgrade was mainly for the licensing.
Yeah, that was actually the first one I received. But on the other hand, activating and deactivating is supposed to be easier.

From the Knowledgebase:

In an effort to better serve customers Geomagic Solutions is pleased to announce the next generation of licensing for Geomagic Solutions products. This new system of licensing will allow us to be more responsive to customer needs and provides end users greater freedom to manage their licenses.

Listed below are a few of the key changes and improvements to licensing:

Note: These changes only affect versions released after December 19th, 2013. No action is needed to continue to use any version released prior to this date.

Customers will no longer be receiving .dat license files or 24-digit maintenance/activation codes as they are accustomed to receiving. You will instead receive a single 16-digit Activation Code for each product purchased.
This single Activation Code can contain multiple seats of the software. You will no longer receive and need to manage multiple license files for the same product each release.
For example, if you have purchased five seats of a product you will simply key in the same Activation Code on five different machines.
Any product activated with an Activation Code is user-transferrable and the license information stored virtually in the cloud. We call this the Virtual Dongle.
Simply deactivate one machine and activate the next. No license files to keep up with, no dongles that could be lost or damaged, and no fuss to change machines.
USB Dongles no longer require a license file. The driver is installed with the application. Simply plug in the dongle and launch the software.
Note: Existing Rapidform customers may use their current dongle.
Note: Existing Geomagic customers without the ability to utilize a Virtual Dongle may request a new USB dongle.

We recognize that existing customers will have many questions about how to install and activate their licenses. We have created http://gettingstarted.geomagic.com to demonstrate the new licensing process step-by-step.

Additionally we have partnered with Flexera, the industry leader in software licensing, to better serve your licensing needs.
For Licensing questions please contact Flexera Support:

Phone: +1 408-642-3965
Phone (Toll Free USA): 888-715-4687
Email: 3dsystems@flexnetoperations.com

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Well...... most likely this isn't the fruits of more than one year of development :)

Regarding the new EULA, NB:

4.8 Use Outside of Country. You may not use the Software, including under a Network License, outside of the Country in which you acquired the right to use the Software.

NigelL

Hi Dennis

dmckee101 said:
What do you think of this point?

"4.6 Use After License Term. You may not use the Software after expiration of the License Term."

This sounds like we no longer have perpetual use of the software that is installed.

I also see section 1.13 the definition of "License Term" states that "For licenses granted for Commercial, Educational or Viewing Use, the default term is perpetual."

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Wierd - I got notice of a licensing system change but nothing for a new version. It was not at all clear from my read of the email, but it almost sounds like users might be able to transfer licenses at will, via the Cloud. Perhaps that means that GM can be used on multiple computers, but only on one at a time for a given license.

It also included this statement:

"• Customers will no longer be using http://www.alibre.com to download future product releases or add-ons. No new product information, account information, downloads, or any other information will be maintained on http://www.alibre.com.

Look like it might be a good idea to archive all files currently on Alibre.com.

No mention at all of a new version, though it did highlight some 3D printing enhancements. In case it matters, my license is for GMD (the old Alibre Design Expert) and I am current on maintenance.

Mike