What's new

Graphics

Graphics

Hi!

Anyone using the new Nvidia GO 8600 GS card in a laptop with AD?

Looking at a:
ASUS S96S
15.4" WXGA
Centrino core 2 duo 2.2g 4mb cache 800 fsb
4g 667 ddr2 ram
Nvidia go 8600 gs 256mb dedicated graphics card
160g 7200rpm hd

what do ya'll think? will this do a good job running ad expert? like this one to last awhile!

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

Hi there!

Personally, I don't see any issue with it. Heck, except for screen size, it's better than the one I use now!

The only caveat I have is to be sure to get latest drivers for your video card. The "default" ones that came with my Dell wasn't up to snuff until I updated from the Nvidia website. Just something to keep in mind.

Also, let us know how it performs with v10. I'll probably drool when I hear it, but I'll be sure to wear a bib. :wink:

Regards,

Jordan

k5man

Although I have not spent a lot of time using Alibre on my new laptop, mine has the nVidia Go 7600 and the performance seems to be pretty good. I have not had any display problems with it but again, it is not a machine I use often for Alibre work.

Karl

Thanks for the replies.

The only thing that bothers me about the laptop that I mentioned is that the display res is 1280X800 WXGA, would it be worth another $200 to go with a different laptop that has the WSXGA? I don't game and the only heavy graphics apps would be those used in Alibre Expert.

Donnie

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

That, of course is entirely up to you. Personally, I would, but I'll give the advice I give everyone: Buy the best you can afford.

If you can afford the extra $200 and you want the higher end resolution, then go for it! :D