What's new

Greetings, I've a bit of a problem

rollin45

Greetings, I've a bit of a problem

Introduction first, my name is Steve Mackelprang and I'm a new user of this software.

I've searched the forums and I can't seem to see this problem mentioned, though I might (read probably) not have done this correctly.

I've modeled a circular ring of 6" diameter, and 1 1/2" depth ( six inch sched 40 pipe). From this I have an extrusion in the form of 4" channel iron 12 " long. So far so good. In this channnel iron toward the outboard side, I have a bolt pattern consisting of 4 holes created with the feature pattern tool. This operation works fine, I then do another feature pattern though this time in the circular pattern, wherein I am creating three "spokes" arranged at 120 degrees.

This is where the problem crops up, in the two additional "spokes", I'm only getting three holes duplicated. I've gone back an examined the feature pattern dialog, and all seems ok. In fact the original channel iron shows the four holes correctly spaced and placed. Its the two generated by the circular pattern where the one hole comes up missing.

Any help would be appreciated, as this ol' pipefitter is trying to learn new tricks and the magic of this software is eluding me at the moment. :lol:

best regards

steve mac

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Hi Steve,

This can be a bit confusing...

If you want to Pattern a Pattern, you have to also select the original Feature that you used to create the first Pattern.

Hope that makes sense...

rollin45

Thank you Miles!!
I'm sure that was it. I went ahead and put the additional holes in one at a time, but in the future this will speed the process.

As I think about it, I can see the logic behind the process but in my amazement of what this program will do I simply forgot what exactly was going on " underneath".

thanks again

steve mac