What's new

Greg spills the beans

barryhc

Everything MikeB is saying here, is "right on the money" ( let's not limit this to 2D Drawings however ! )

If we're going to look forward to V10, then when is it's projected release, and what Major and Minor considerations are expected to be included "therein" ?

> Barry 8)

MikeB

Thanks for listening Greg. Thats another thing I like about Alibre, the CEO takes the time to listen to his clients! I am pretty sure if I had concerns about brand "x' I proabably wouldn't hear anything from the CEO!

Thats great news about ver 10. Is ver. 10 supposed to come out next year some time? (Sorry if that has been announced and I haven't been paying attention!)

Once again, thanks for listening. I hope what I said came across the right way, that is to say constructive rather than merely carping.

caduser1

Everything MikeB says I agree with.

I also have been harping about the 2D functionality of Alibre since I first purchased our 3 seats. I am very happy to hear that an improvement is in the works for V10.

I do have the motion and so far it has been of very little use, mostly because I am not totally up to speed yet. I do think it still needs work to be more useful.

As far as 3D pdf, this is a huge plus for me. Being able to create pdf assembly drawings with 1 click which can be inserted into a pdf parts manual document is a dream. Basically, with this new feature I do not need to create exploded assemblies for parts manuals anymore. This has removed a whole step out of my work process. A huge time saver! I am looking forward to the Alibre / Adobe package. I do agree with another poster who mentioned that it would be nice if the Alibre parts/assemblies looked as good as the Adobe ones. My guess is the move away from Java and to .Net with V10 is going to improve alot of these little issues.

So far, I have had no reason to regret choosing Alibre. The attentiveness of Greg and every one at Alibre has won my confidence.

MikeB

Re:

Greg,
As far as number of parts in the average assembly I don't have any data other than to just look around my home and office. Everything that is manufactured gets designed first. So as I look around my coffee cup has one part. My keyboard I think has 128 keys so if you count the keys and say each switch under each key has three to five parts the keybord is probably approaching 500 -750 parts. My computer probably has 1000 parts. The truck I drive to work proabably has 10000. An airliner probably has 100000, a washing machine maybe 100. The most recent machine I designed in Alibre for our factory had 4377 parts including fasteners and that was pretty much streching the limits both 3d and 2d.

What I am saying is that sometimes things like a keyboard that don't look like much can contain quite a few parts and like the keys could be some complex parts. I guess maybe the thing to do if you are going to say our software is good up to 2000 parts or whatever then you could market to industries that would fall into that catagory.

That can even be a bit problematic however. I work for a company that makes V-belts. We engineer and design them using 3d modeling software and they are basically one part, no assemblies.

OTOH, we also use the same software in plant engineering to design the machinery that manufactures the belts which can contain thousands of parts.

Maybe you are onto something with the LT thing. For example, take a company like John Deere. You could say that for their combine and tractor business they need the $8,000 - $10,000 software. However that software might be overkill for the lawn tractor business and they could save a lot of money designing them with $2,000 and $500 maintenance software like Alibre?

gregmilliken said:
Don't worry, we're optimizing. We're just not going to plunge a lot of resources into pursuing "very large" assemblies; 1,000+ parts is not what I consider "very large," large maybe, but not "very large."

Granted even this is far larger than those with which most users typically work. I believe that goes for most users of any CAD system, not just Alibre Design, however we feel the ability to work productively with assemblies of 1,000+ parts will reasonably capture the vast majority of the market.

Does anyone have any quantitative data that would refute or support my assertion above?

-Greg

Cameraman

I'm also very glad to hear about the emphasis on 2D for v10, but I do want to give kudos for including Acrobat 3D in v9.1 ... we are a product development group, and need an easy way to clearly communicate design concepts to our Marketing and Sales groups, who in turn communicate them to customers ... we were getting along okay with ModelPress, but now we've got some extra functionality and don't have to ask our customers to download a new program (unless they don't have v7 of Acrobat Reader yet, but even in that case they don't complain about upgrading their current reader).

Not to stray too far off topic, but I am also very glad that Alibre has worked to address our need for a local repository server, and they've listened to our suggestions for future improvements to that product as well. (I will create a new thread on this topic sometime soon.)

Regards,
Greg (no, not THAT Greg!) :D

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

Cameraman said:
Not to stray too far off topic, but I am also very glad that Alibre has worked to address our need for a local repository server, and they've listened to our suggestions for future improvements to that product as well. (I will create a new thread on this topic sometime soon.)

Don't tease me... Send me a PM is you can't post here!