What's new

Grouping parts in an assembly

mrehmus

I've looked but cannot figure out how to group parts in an assembly. I have a crankshaft with bearings that is used twice in an engine. I had to assemble the group on the block to obtain proper alignment. Now I want to copy that group and use it again.

Am I missing a function somewhere or does it need to be 'invented' by Alibre development?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Build those parts into an assembly, use it twice as a sub assembly in the 'top level' assembly.

mrehmus

David, I know that approach. What I want to do is group a subset of parts in a larger assembly. The subgroup must be assembled on other parts of the assembly that I don't want in the subgroup.

I know I can delete that other parts of the larger assembly and get the function in an around-about manner but I was hoping there exists a subgroup command.

leeave96

I hear what you are trying to do, but I don't think it can be done in AD or even SW - but I could be wrong.

FWIW, in SW, you could create a subassembly of these parts, load it into your assembly as many times as you like and then disolve the subassembly back to piece parts (while retaining mates) and in doing so you could accomplish your goal. This is an enhancement request that has been asked of AD for a long time and I don't think we'll get it anytime soon.

All the best!
Bill