What's new

GRRR

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
OK
I just installed the update. I hate updating because every time I loose my 3D printer settings.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Raise a ticket for it. The mechanism for user editable/addtional settings should really be kept separate from the builtin settings and the application should 'add' the user settings to the builtin ones when it starts up (with the action that duplicate user settings override the builtin ones if required). That would solve your issue and make for a friendlier migration experience.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
We will not be updating this particular thing because in the next release the 3D Printer check will be removed due to an expiring licensing agreement with 3D Systems. Sorry, not the news you wanted to hear, but we don't want to hide it.

Max

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
Sorry to hear that:(

Does that meaning the printable function(s) also will removed in the new release?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure what specifically you're referring to, but everything on the Printability tab will be going. On a side note, the import mesh feature uses the same technology and it will also be going away. We are considering replacements for that, but they will not be available by the time the 3DS flavor is removed.

JL82

The mesh feature will be not available on the next next release? Would it be possible to import a STL file by Alibre 2018.1 ?

Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
It will not be possible in 2018.1 to import mesh files. We are evaluating some alternatives to the 3DS technology from ACIS but the 2018.1 timeline is not a candidate for that major of a change.

Out of curiosity, can you tell me how you use import mesh? Curious as to the workflows our customers are using it for today, will help us determine an optimal solution in the future.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Am I missing something? The Import Mesh feature is going away, all exports remain unaffected.

GDBranch

Never had any real success importing. Very glad I will still be able to export for slicing and printing.

Reactions: MKR

MarcusWolschon

"We are evaluating some alternatives to the 3DS technology from ACIS"
What is the status of that?

"Out of curiosity, can you tell me how you use import mesh?"
Most of the time I import complex, organic meshes and use them as reference for designing mother-molds where the cavity between mesh and mother-mold will become a production mold.
So I don't actually interact with the mesh but I need it to be rendered along with the solid geometry I am working on in the same views.

Sometimes I have to import technical parts (with flat surfaces, perfect circles and 90° corners) to use their surfaces to redesign the same part for later manipulation.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
The timeline for this is not in line with 2018.1. The implication of this is that unfortunately 2018.1 will be unable to import or otherwise use meshes in any way. Further, parts with meshes in them, when opened in Alibre Design 2018.1, will have mesh features fail on regeneration.

If meshes are core to your workflow, it's probably best to not upgrade to 2018.1 and wait until a later release where mesh support is re-enabled.

MarcusWolschon

If meshes are core to your workflow, it's probably best to not upgrade to 2018.1 and wait until a later release where mesh support is re-enabled.

And either pay a support contract without being able to actually make use of it or pay the penalty of getting back into support when it has expired in the mean time :/

Last edited:

swertel

Alibre Super User
Any either pay a support contract without being able to actually make use of it or pay the penalty of getting back into support when it has expired in the mean time :/
I'm trying to understand your comment, but it doesn't make any sense especially with respect to the topic of this thread.