What's new

Had it with this error "LOST ENT"

JST

Alibre Super User
This error is the bane of my existence. It occurs when absolutely NOTHING has been erased.

"CHANGE_LOST_ENT: attempt to change record marked as deleted"

After this occurs, it seems as if fairly nothing will ever again work in the part, and you nearly always have to just go back to a prior save, or abandon the part and re-create it in its entirety from scratch.

Is there any way to recover from it?

I know this is an impossible question, as you don't have the part, but I can promise you that you would be no smarter if you DID, as there is never any information given as to what the "lost entity" is. This is an ACIS error, and simply has no explanation other than what one can guess.

Sometimes one can undo or get rid of the last few items in the design explorer and it will work, but other times the lost entity remains forever a mystery until you lose the entire this by just deleting and starting over from scratch.

I'd REALLY like to know what these ACIS errors are referring to, but I am afraid that even if the reference is given it would just be the GMD internal descriptor, and would mean nothing to the user.

lamar

JST,

When I get the error message it usually is a constraint that lost its association. I agree it is a pain, but I can usually find the culprit and fix the problem. :?

JST

Alibre Super User
Thanks. That is a useful clue, I assumed that "entity" referred to a sketch element, etc, something "physical"... Did not occur to me that a dimension or constraint could be the problem.

So, how do you find it?

My record of finding those is poor. It's not as if they are announced in any way.

Could it be a constraint that SHOULD be there, but which was never put in?

lamar

It is usually a constraint or dimension that I put in. To find it do a use the back arrow and forward arrow and open the sketch in between,
always looking for what could have changed or what is not as it should be.

JST

Alibre Super User
In this case it seems to have been one that was NOT put in, as I mentioned.

When the sketch was "fully defined" it worked. Part of the sketch was "projected", and a portion of it was not tied down.

That's not the usual issue. But this time it was.

Thanks for the jump-start. Wish these were always like that.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I get that error too once in a while with no real way to see the cause. I assumed it was something with the internal structure of the file.
I'm on an old version and had I hoped it had been fixed by now.

cdub

I get this error whenever a model gets beyond a certain amount of complexity and I'm going back into the feature tree and modifying things. This is especially true of models that have any sort of shell feature in them. The only way I can clear it is to hit save, close the file, close alibre design, then reopen Alibre Design and reopen the model. This usually fixes it.

cdub

The other observation I have about this, is that once you get it once on a file, you'll keep getting it over an over with that file, regardless of what you are doing with it.

fabcadmz

I get this error whenever a model gets beyond a certain amount of complexity and I'm going back into the feature tree and modifying things.
This is where I start to see this error as well, and I use regen to last feature after modifying something. I only notice this error on sheetmetal parts. The error is (almost) always resolved with F5 (regenerate all),without having to re-start Alibre.

JST

Alibre Super User
When I get it, it usually is NOT from deleting anything. If I have deleted or changed anything, I know what to do, undo the action, and it is usually fixed.

Deletes or changes usually result in an error relating to a lost reference, something is still constrained to a feature or plane etc, that has been deleted. That is a different error.

I have not seen the LOST ENT error for a while now, no idea why.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
"CHANGE_LOST_ENT: attempt to change record marked as deleted"

I'm real familiar with the last part of this error. The "CHANGE_LOST_ENT:" , not so sure of. Reason being, *almost all* of the time
when I get that error I just stop what I am doing and "SAVE". Of course the sketch closes so I reopen it and generally continue on.
I have a bad habit of using any fixes I find without paying attention to anything else. So that makes it really hard for me to relate
anything about the problem, unless I'm specifically looking for it. Try just "SAVE" sometimes and see what happens. Who knows?

sterling peaks

Not very encouraging that no one from Alibre has offered up a solution. I too am getting this error in a complex model when I go back and change something in the feature tree. I am hoping I don't have to redraw the part but I may have to. It would be really nice to not have this happen or at least have method to fix/prevent.

AaronnBeatbox

Thanks. That is a useful clue, I assumed that "entity" referred to a sketch element, etc, something "physical"... Did not occur to me that a dimension or constraint could be the problem.

So, how do you find it?

My record of finding those is poor. It's not as if they are announced in any way.

Could it be a constraint that SHOULD be there, but which was never put in?
This is the future speaking, I encountered this error and was frustrated beyond belief until I stumbled upon this forum and this clue to look into constraints, that led me to find reference lines I set in place and failed to completely delete. I had one reference line that appeared to be tied to my trapezoid I was using to create a threaded nut and it was just sort of floating off to the side and was only visible while sketching not while viewing the model. I was just hoping I could offer another thing to look for even if you're a veteran now and I'm nothing more than a noob who spent 3 hours making my very first bolt and nut this morning. Jesus, threading a nut has eluded me completely for almost 3 days. I got making a bolt down but dont know squat about the thread shapes or how to make the pitches or what needs to be done to make a useable bolt and nut.