What's new

Hatch on part in drawing

dlaery

Alibre Super User
How to I apply a hatch pattern to a part in drawing mode?
the help is not very helpful.

here is where i am looking:
Hatch
Hatch annotations are used to create a section view of closed shaped without creating an actual section view. Projected edges, sketch figures or a combination of both can be used. If selected items do not form a closed shape then a hatch pattern cannot be created. Selected items can be nested, for example, a closed figure can be located within another set of closed figures. Hatch patterns will only be displayed in a current view and will not be displayed in views that are created from an original view.

How to Insert Hatch Annotations

1. For sketch figures, hold down the Shift key on the keyboard and individually select items. A window can be created around items in the sketch mode to select multiple items at one time by click-dragging a window around the desired items.

NOTE: An entire item needs to be within a window to be selected if the window is created from left to right. When windowing from right to left however, only a partial segment is necessary for an item to be selected

albie0803

Alibre Super User
OK, if you use a cross section view you will automatically get a hatch pattern on the faces that are sectioned.
If you don't want to create a separate sectioned view, you can use the hatch command and select lines that form a closed shape, something like a sketch. This enclosed shape will show a desired hatch pattern.
I'm not sure what this actually means as I've only used the function a few times. Hatch patterns will only be displayed in a current view and will not be displayed in views that are created from an original view. Trial and error will work here. Hopefully a wiser head will add a comment.

dlaery

Alibre Super User
I have a drawing of a front of a building and the columns/I beams I would like to put a pattern so it is easier to see other frame parts.
no matter what i do with the "Hatch" window open, the "OK" stays greyed out

I have a drawing of a front of a building and the columns/I beams I would like to put a pattern so it is easier to see other frame parts.
no matter what i do with the "Hatch" window open, the "OK" stays greyed out
David -- OK, either you create a Sketch of "closed geometry" that you can then Hatch or you create a Rotated Section that will be populated by your "Default for Material" Hatch Pattern. You may need to Edit the Hatch Pattern to change the Scale and/or Rotation to make it visible. Does this help? My main complaint about Alibre Hatching is that there is no way to locate the "origin" of the Hatch Pattern within a View. This makes my Woodgrain Hatch Patterns essentially worthless in Alibre.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Hatches in a cross section view work fairly well. Build-your-own-hatches work terrible. I don't use it much but I wish it let you just click inside a closed figure and fill it instead of picking every single piece of the border.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Alternate suggestion here. In your model, which I assume is an assembly, set the beams to a different colur and use the shaded viewtype. This will make them stand out even in greyscale if you don't want to print in colour.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Dlaery,

the possibility to hatch seems to depend on the "line configuration".
If you have a item consisting of a closed geometry it can be filled with a hatch.
If your lines are longer than than the area you want to fill it doesn't work.
I hope the picture can help.
column 1: select 1,2,3,4 and you get no fill
column 2: select line 3,6,7,9 and you get the fill below
column 3: select 1,2,3,4 and you get the fill below
upload_2019-5-16_9-46-27.png
Regards
Stefan

dlaery

Alibre Super User
thanks for the suggestions, I'll make it work;)
At least I know that what I was trying to do won't work.o_O
the shaded will do:)