What's new

Hatching

Mike Fleury

Why do hatch lines on section views fail? I've tried all types of things to get them to generate; changing opacity of the model, erasing non-used reference lines in sketches, etc., sometimes it works but mostly not. If anyone has a technique that will always produce properly hatched sections, please add your explanation.

Reactions: MKR
Why do hatch lines on section views fail? I've tried all types of things to get them to generate; changing opacity of the model, erasing non-used reference lines in sketches, etc., sometimes it works but mostly not. If anyone has a technique that will always produce properly hatched sections, please add your explanation.
Mike -- You need to assign a "Hatch Pattern" to you Material properties file in alibre_unicode_custom.mtl dataset. -- Lew

Lew, do you mean 'materials' in file properties? It's set as ansi31, .6, red, that's all I've ever used.
Mike -- The ANSI-xx hatch names are lies created by John Walker because he knew nothing about Drafting. [They were in fact Figure identities taken from a 1975 ANSI publications catalog.] The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) was "de-commissioned" in 2009. Reguardless, you need to identify what Hatch Pattern is associated ,with each Material in your alibre_unicode_custom.mtl dataset.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mike,

Consider posting a package made from a drawing with 'failed' hatching. It could just be a simple dummy part. That will allow others to try on their own system.

Some things that can cause hatch issues - parts are very small compared to spacing in the hatch pattern, anti-aliasing settings for the graphics card, use of Windows generic graphics driver rather than driver from graphics chip maker (the default Windows drivers are poor).

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I also have hatch lines in sections fail from time to time. Often saving and then closing Alibre and reopening often solves the issue after updating the drawing. Note often, not always. I think it MAY have something to do with the memory leak that exists in the program.

Mike Fleury

Mike,

Consider posting a package made from a drawing with 'failed' hatching. It could just be a simple dummy part. That will allow others to try on their own system.

Some things that can cause hatch issues - parts are very small compared to spacing in the hatch pattern, anti-aliasing settings for the graphics card, use of Windows generic graphics driver rather than driver from graphics chip maker (the default Windows drivers are poor).

Good idea; here is a package of a part I can't seem to hatch. It seems to happens more often on revolutions, sweeps, and lofts. More complex NURBS was my guess, but maybe it is settings or graphic card. See if it causes you problems. Thanks.

Attachments

• hatch test.AD_PKG
    175.7 KB · Views: 8

Mike Fleury

Mike -- The ANSI-xx hatch names are lies created by John Walker because he knew nothing about Drafting. [They were in fact Figure identities taken from a 1975 ANSI publications catalog.] The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) was "de-commissioned" in 2009. Reguardless, you need to identify what Hatch Pattern is associated ,with each Material in your alibre_unicode_custom.mtl dataset.

Lew,

Regardless of standards I'm just looking to use the only hatch I've ever needed which is what is listed as ansi31. I'm not aware of the database you described so searched and found the alibre_unicode_sample.mtl, opened it in notepad and read about making a custom file. I don't want to have to deal with this if I don't have to. You can see my hatch test package below and see if it hatches for you - maybe I have bad settings somewhere, but I've had this happen a lot over the years on all kinds of machines so I don't think its that. It's very frustrating.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Forcing a re-project of all views after opening the drawing brought back the hatch for me. So my guess is that something is not quite right on your system. In addition to the points I mentioned previously, check that 'advanced 2D rendering' is enabled (System Options-> Display).

As an outside chance - perhaps try re-setting your user profile (this doesn't 'feel' like a profile issue, but it's easy to try). Let's see if others spot anything additional.

MKR

You are not the only one with that problem. It began for me after the last update.
But as albie0803, I save, close and reopen drawing, and it work.

GeorgD

Good idea; here is a package of a part I can't seem to hatch. It seems to happens more often on revolutions, sweeps, and lofts. More complex NURBS was my guess, but maybe it is settings or graphic card. See if it causes you problems. Thanks.

Hi Mike,
if that's the solution to your problem, the solution is very simple.
I clicked on your section view with the left mouse button. Then select All Scihtable Edges under Display Edge Display.

Attachments

• hatch test.AD_PKG
    179.3 KB · Views: 11

simonb65

Alibre Super User
@Max , slight side note ... can you set the rendering option for line drawing to LineCap = Round to make line joins better. You can really see this artefact if you zoom into a PDF, but with WYSIWYG line weights, it also become very noticeable! i.e

upload_2019-4-12_12-3-10.png

upload_2019-4-12_12-5-21.png