What's new

Having problems entering splines...

dwc

Alibre Super User
Using V21 I am trying to trace curves on a jpg file in a drawing to be then able to use them for part design and have questions that I don't see answered in the help or elsewhere:
1) Using "Spline by Reference Points" I can trace the curve, but am then unable to edit the curve in any way except a translation of the whole curve. How can I edit the position of a single point?
2) Using "Spline by Control Points" and "Spline by Interpolation Points" I can edit individual points, but the display is so small that I can't see the developed line and many of the points. How can I change the thickness and or color of the spline and control points to make then usably visible?

Somewhere in the back of my head I thought that AD had some kind of curve tracing function. Am I dreaming? If it exists, where do I find it.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Don,
Goto 2D drawing Workspace,
1.-Insert Image;
2.- Make dimension where is a exact measure as show below:
1635429905412.png

3.- Apply the simple equation:
x=24 inch/0.007641 inch
x=24.05675
4.- Desactive Sketch;
5.-Click to image;
6.-Will show a window and select Scale;
7.-Write the new scale for your image as show below and aptly ok
1635430459334.png
Right now the image has the same dimension 1:1.
8-Now drawing a spline curve with reference point making a big zoom for accommodate each drawn point:1635431173688.png
10.-When finish before Desactive Sketch apply Select All and Copy into Edit Ribbon;
11.-Desactive the Sketch and open a Part WorkSpace;
12.- Active Sketch with the plan that you like put the copied Sketch and apply Past:
1635432137212.png

11.- Now your are able to continuos drawing using references lines and all tools of the Sketch mode. The scale is correct as show the dimensions.
I hope this help and good creative an productive retirement!
GIOV

Last edited:

dwc

Alibre Super User
Thanks GIOV for that complete description. That is more or less what I am doing.
My problem is that I can't figure out how to edit a point once it has been inserted.
Although the help claims I can at least extend and cut a spline, that doesn't work either.
I have tried editing in both the drawing and in the part after transferring, neither are working for me and I am not able to advance.

A typical problem: either the first or last point is not exactly on the middle line so when I mirror to get the entire outline the sketch is not closed. I can find no way to move a point to be able to close the sketch.

(Retirement has been good to me up 'til now. I recommend retirement highly !)

GIOV

Alibre Super User
It is no my case, Ever I am able to move the points of the Spline into the 2D Drawing and after paste the 2D drawing into the WorkSpace Part Plane Sketch.Try with nodes as show below
1635491266794.png
1635491316350.png
1635491358462.png
1635491401420.png