What's new

Help creating drawing templates

esingleton

Help creating drawing templates

hello everybody,
I need help from those of you that have created your own drawing template files. I am trying to create a "D" size template. My plotter is a HP DesignJet 220. My paper is 24" x 36". I open a blank D sized sheet in Alibre and draw my borders and such. Everything is well within the blue lines shown on the blank page. However whenever I try to print the following error pops up:

"One or more sheets will not fit on the selected paper size. Do you want to print them anyway?"

This happens no matter what size template I try to create. If I use one of the default Alibre templates I do not get the error. However if I modify an Alibre template then try to use it the error pops up again. What gives? I can select the "scale to fit" option in the print dialog but I don't like doing this. I would rather have control over how big my plots are going to be.

Thanks,
esingleton

jhatfield

Seems like I remember getting that message when I was creating my custom templates. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what was wrong. Every time I printed anyway and couldn't see anything wrong with what printed out, so I left the problem unresolved and went on to things that made money. As far as I know whatever caused the error has never given me a problem. If someone has an explanation/solution, I'd like to read about it.

John

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User

esingleton,

I had that problem for a while and needed the reduce-to-fit feature to get the file to plot completely. The only major problem with the result was that the scale was a bit off, as one would expect given that the drawing was reduced slightly.

This was with a Designjet 488CA 36" wide plotter using 24" wide paper. As near as I can remember the "will not fit" message disappeared when I changed a setting for the printer driver - probably had to rotate the image or change the orientation.

Mike