What's new

help - export ansi c drawing to tif or png to scale

cdub

I'm having great difficulty getting any of the export methods to give me an image file that is actually 1:1 scale. I am trying to export a C size drawing 1:1 for import into Inkscape.

I've tried the File~export command, and have tried the png and tiff file types. The issue with these is the output is scaled to whatever the zoom view is on the screen, like a screenshot.

I've tried the PdfCreator as well, and have found the png output varies with the dpi setting, among other things. Similar problems with tif.

Either way, this should be pretty straightforward, and I'm a bit puzzled.

I have to export at 1:1 scale and import into inkscape in order to submit it to Ponoko.com to get my parts cut.

Anyone have any insight?
---------------------------------------
Alibre 10 SP1
WIndows XP

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
I don't know if you are trying to exporting it from drawing or not.
When I export, I need to create 2D drawing and export either DXF or DWG to do it on scale.
Am I helping?

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Raster images don't really have a scale, as such... Any image editor will resize the number of pixels.

cdub

all interesting information, thank you for the replies.

I am trying to export a drawing file. Ponoko.com will laser cut wood and plastic parts from your supplied files. The problem is they only accept *.eps files from Adobe or Inkscape. I have inkscape, but it wont import dxf files, hence the rastar approach.

I am aware of the scale functionality in Inkscape. I'm trying to avoid doing that because I don't want to loose the precision of the drawing, since this is going to ultimately be used to drive a CNC laser to cut mechanical parts.

Miles - I think I see where you're going, but it seems odd to me that I go through all the trouble to select page sizes and fit options just to have the PDFcreator printer give me a file that isn't really scaled.

Yes, I've already contacted Ponoko about accepting eps files from Alibre. I believe the Inkscape project is already working on importing dxf's.

thank you,
cdub

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Have you made sure that the paper size set for PDF Creator is the same size as the page you are trying to print ? - if not this may introduce a scale factor. For example I found the default in PDF Creator to be 'letter' size, but I work with A4 - there is a slight difference.

cdub

yes, I've tried a variety of paper combinations in the print dialog "advanced" properties and the PDFCreator settings. The system seems to ignore them.

Would somebody else try what I'm trying and report back a result? Basically, make an ANSI C size Alibre drawing, print it to the PDFCreator as s png or tiff and try to set it up as C size, then pull the result into Inkscape and see what you get? At least then I'd know it isn't just me!

btw - Inkscape is open source software (free as in speech).

Thanks,
cdub