What's new

Help Me Understand ADD On Manager Script Atom 3D

VF57

Hello, This is my first post, I'm new to here I'm using Alibre Atom 3D.
So in add-on Manager I can activate the Alibre Script and the trace parts script.
The Trace parts script when clicked brings me to their web site.
but nothing shows up for the Alibre script.? should it?
I have read some of the forum and I guess it should bring you to an Alibre site where you can
configure and download parts/ components.
Is the script broken in my system? or does it need to be configured?
If not active, is there a way to add an icon under add-on for other sites, such as the alibre site or like Mcmaster Carr and others.
I'm not a programmer so just trying to understand, the best way to make this software as useful as possible.
Thank you
VF

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Is the script broken in my system? or does it need to be configured?
You don't get Alibre Scripting with Atom 3D. It's a Pro or Expert feature only.

There is no current way of adding an external tool/application/url link unless you write an add-on that does that for you!

albie0803

Alibre Super User
My linked tutorial isn't that hard. I just created this for you in under 10mins, following the instructions.
Unzip the file into C:\Program Files\Alibre Design\Program\Addons for a McMaster-Carr Addin shortcut.

Do it with Alibre closed as the addons are only read at startup.

Attachments

• McMasterCarr.zip
    39.2 KB · Views: 31

VF57

albie0803, thank you for the effort, I just tried but didn't work?
is it because Atom 3d can't run scripts?
the icon showed up in add-on tool bar and it was enabled but when clicked , nothing.
Thank you
VF

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I have no idea. If someone else tried it and said it worked then we would have to ask the Alibre team if there is any functionality missing in Atom that would affect this.

I also originally built an add-on that would open a program, eg calc (it just called a shortcut to the program) that worked fine for me but others had to change the style of path to it to make it work. I have no idea why or if the two are related. The code just launches a shortcut to a webpage. Maybe if you opened the folder, dragged a shortcut from your browser for McMaster-Carr and renamed it to external it may make the difference? Worth a try.

VF57

Wow This is crazy, today it works! I don't know why the only thing i can figure is I shut down the computer since last time i tried?
Thank you so much for doing this, it's great.
do you happen to have more already made you can share?
Thank you
victor

albie0803

Alibre Super User
take a look here

Have a go at the tutorial, just work through it step by step. I hadn't used it for over 12 months and just followed the instructions and was done in just over 10mins. Once you get the hang of the first one you'll find it quite easy