What's new

Help needed to achieve a task

TimB

Hi

I'm asking for some help please.
I need to extrude a sketch to 0.5mm from the opposite face. The trouble is the face is a 3 way compound curve and I have no idea how to do it.

Any hints appreciated

Attachments

• Resess.JPG
    Resess.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Resess 1.zip
    632.7 KB · Views: 12

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Can you just clarify please. Do you want to extrude the digits outwards from the concave surface by 0.5mm or extrude cut the digits into the concave surface?

TimB

Hi, Thanks

I want to extrude into the surface so that the bottom of the extrusion is 0.5mm from the opposite face.

As the thickness of the part is 2mm the recess will be 1.5mm deep from the face it currently over

I hope that makes sense.

Cheers

TimB

Hi,

Actually that file you sent was not what what I was asking for. All that seem to have been don is the extrusion was sunk a little more that I had already done.

I need it to be 0.5mm from the opposite face.

That means 0.5mm uniformly from the front face.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Tim,
What you are seeing in Lamar's Recess 2 file is one of the failings of the Offset setting in the To Geometry option in Extrude Boss/Cut. It is offset from the surface but the end condition is Planar; it does not adopt the curvature of the selected surface. :cry:

A method that will give you the results you want is to make your numbers as a separate Extruded part file. Cut/trim the extrude to a curvature that matches the desired offset, or depth of cut, of the face of your Recess part.

Then bring the numbers part into your Recess, position it where needed, and using Boolean Subtract, create the cut that follows the curvature of the Recess face.

It helps to create both parts relative to the Origin, then constraining the part for the Boolean operation is a matter of constraining the inserted part to the Origin of the part being cut.

khoaxnam,
you forgot to include the prt for the boolean in your attachment, I get a missing part error window when I open your file.

khoaxnam

ooops, sorry.
Unfortunately, I left the files at work, and I don't have Alibre at home to remake the part. I will upload it on Monday if needed.
Basically, I did exactly what HaroldL said. Here are some quick tricks: save the resess file as two seperate files, one with the number extruded and one without. Use boolean cut on them to make the number. Then save the number on separate file. Open the number file and create a cut so that the number is only 0.5 mm thick throughout the entire part (used one of the existed sketch). Then use boolean cut again for the number and the resses file without the number extruded.