What's new

Help Required for Traction Engine Wheel

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Firstly, what version of Alibre have you got?

You need to model this as a solid.

1. Create 'half' a section of the part, then revolve extrude it (to get the blank).

1643471120798.png

1643471163258.png

2. Extrude Cut a gap between the spokes.

1643471421407.png

1643471453881.png

3. Circular pattern No 2.

1643471502155.png

4. Extrude cut the centre hole.

1643471567559.png

5. Extrude Cut one of the rim holes.

1643471662882.png

6. Circular pattern No 5.

1643471710336.png

7. Add internal fillets.

1643471808766.png

Alibre 'Expert' V24 part attached ...

Attachments

• SimonBs Thingy.AD_PRT
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Firstly, what version of Alibre have you got?

You need to model this as a solid.

1. Create 'half' a section of the part, then revolve extrude it (to get the blank).
2. Extrude Cut the gaps between the spokes.
3. Extrude cut the centre hole.
4. Extrude Cut one of the rim holes.
5. Circular pattern No 4.
I am working with V24 Expert

Thank you Simon

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
@Simonboyle08 , This looks like it could be the start of an interesting project.
Why don't you post some images in the Media section when you're done with, or as you progress with, your traction engine.

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
I could see this being modeled in Sheetmetal as well, that would allow you to flatten out the bends for layout purposes. Depends on what your role in this project's production is, if you're not making the thing and this is a part coming from someone else, the method described above would be fine for use in Assembly models.

You'd draw it almost opposite the way Simonb65 did in Sheetmetal, starting with the outside diameter and adding Flanges to build one of the finger spokes in the center, then repeat the process (or maybe Pattern, though I tend to avoid that kinda stuff in my Sheetmetal works) for the other five.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I could see this being modeled in Sheetmetal as well, that would allow you to flatten out the bends for layout purposes. Depends on what your role in this project's production is, if you're not making the thing and this is a part coming from someone else, the method described above would be fine for use in Assembly models.

You'd draw it almost opposite the way Simonb65 did in Sheetmetal, starting with the outside diameter and adding Flanges to build one of the finger spokes in the center, then repeat the process (or maybe Pattern, though I tend to avoid that kinda stuff in my Sheetmetal works) for the other five.
You wouldn't be able to flatten out the pattern as the spokes would have overlapping interference in the centre! I tried that before suggesting modelling as a solid.

Although the single spoke and pattern would work in Sheet Metal! I tried as a complete wheel ... Doh!

Last edited:

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
I kinda assumed that's the reason there were small gaps between where all the spokes meet each other in the center, like as a flat layout those gaps would close up. Sheetmetal CAD was never my forte, despite how much I use it at work.

One thing that your method produces is curved bend lines, while the print in the OP appears to be regular straight bends. I dunno, I'm probably splitting hairs on this project for what OP needs it for. It's Monday morning and I'm still waiting for the caffeine to kick in :)

If it's not stamped, I'd hate to be the guy on the shop floor trying to form this thing up in a press or a sheetmetal brake

simonb65

Alibre Super User
One thing that your method produces is curved bend lines, while the print in the OP appears to be regular straight bends.
True! There are many ways to create this to get it as per drawing. Mine was just a quick and 'dirty' example.

You could use the solid method to extrude a single spoke segment as per the first sketch, stamp cut a 60 degree pie from that, pattern that, then revolve cut the outer edge to make it round, then stamp cut the inside of the spokes. That would give the same result but with straight bend lines. That's the beauty of modelling, so many ways to solve these interesting problems.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I come across cases from time to time transferring old designs to 3D, where original 2D drawings are at best 'ambiguous' and at worst simply impossible to make exactly to drawing.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
This wheel rim is likely stamped out of 2mm sheet metal. If you modeled the part in sheet metal with the Dimple tool it would take some time to get the settings right but it would come out okay.

@simonb65 , your method of a revolve is much easier and quicker.

1643653607820.png STAMPEDSHEETMETALWHEEL.png

Attachments

• StampedSheetMetalWheelRim.AD_SMP
    940.5 KB · Views: 6