What's new

Help with custom drawing template and .dxf export. (Resolved).

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I've found workarounds for this problem, so it's not an emergency or anything but I would like to get it figured out so I can correct it.

When I use the default drawing template, everything works as expected. The default template:
1661609701479.png

exports to .dxf, then opened in my cam software:

1661609751294.png

Perfect.. No issues

However, my custom drawing template uses the same type of line segments in the borders, and the same type of text labels. The issue seems to be that when Alibre exports the custom template, the text sizes open in cam with text sizes anywhere from 0, up to huge. However, in the default template they export with the appropriate sizes. Here is the custom template in Alibre:

1661609805968.png

And the .dxf export opened in CamBam:

1661610024420.png

So, what do i need to change in Alibre to get the custom template numbers to export the same way they do in the default template?

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Oddly, i am finding that any text label I add via the ribbon button exports oversized and with the extra characters.

If i right click/copy a default text label, paste a copy where i want it and then edit it to spell out the correct word, it then exports just fine. I was able to sort most of it out by copy/pasting labels from the default template.

But, it doesn't want to export symbols. I'm not sure how to sort this out.

Untitled.jpg

becomes this:

1661619922722.png

Last edited:

domcm

Symbol export seems to be working for me. Just curious, did you create the note as "label text" and use the Alibre symbol as shown below? I am using the Arial font for my label text. See below.

Note sure what the text size issue is. I have not seen that issue either. Have you tried a different program to open the DXF file to see if you have the same issues? I use Autodesk DWG TrueView which you can download for free from the Autodesk website.

On a side note. Any symbols created in an Alibre template with colors will export as black and white to DXF. This is a known issue.

plus_mins_symbol.jpg

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Symbol export seems to be working for me. Just curious, did you create the note as "label text" and use the Alibre symbol as shown below? I am using the Arial font for my label text. See below.

Note sure what the text size issue is. I have not seen that issue either. Have you tried a different program to open the DXF file to see if you have the same issues? I use Autodesk DWG TrueView which you can download for free from the Autodesk website.

On a side note. Any symbols created in an Alibre template with colors will export as black and white to DXF. This is a known issue.

View attachment 37053

I havn't tried another program to open the .dxf files. I'll try another program and see what happens.

Ken226

Alibre Super User

View attachment 37053

I opened the .dxf files in a couple of different online viewers and everything opens fine with them. Including the earlier versions, with the massively oversized text, and the symbols too.

It would appear that this is a CamBam issue.

Thanks for the help and suggestion. I appreciate it.

Last edited: