What's new

Help with guide lofting

gld

This is a test run, not the finished part. I been working on this the last 3 evenings with no luck. I have followed this you tube

Alibre Beginners Course #17 to the letter. (I think??).​

Sketch 1&2 will loft, but when you add a guide (sketch 3 or 4) it fails. darn if I can figure out why.

Gary

Attachments

• 00New (1).AD_PRT
    298.5 KB · Views: 4

Ken226

Alibre Super User
There appears to be some gaps in the small end, where the guide curves are supposed to intersect the small end sketch.

1707447083698.png

And, there appears to be an errant sketch figure artifact in sketch 3, where the big end sketch figures converge near the airfoil trailing edge:

1707447193245.png

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I fixed the issues I mentioned above and still couldn't get it to loft successfully. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about lofting with guide curves will chime in and help out.

gld

I saw those gaps in the small end, but if you look at sketch 3 or 4, the end is snapped to the ends of the airfoil sketch. Or so it appears.

Anyway, I think lofting on a center line may be a better solution.

Thanks for looking.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I saw those gaps in the small end, but if you look at sketch 3 or 4, the end is snapped to the ends of the airfoil sketch. Or so it appears.

Thanks for looking.

Another possibility you could consider, maybe some intermediate airfoil sketches along the loft path.

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Something like this, just as a quick example off the top of my head:

1707450143991.png

Attachments

• Example.AD_PRT
    530 KB · Views: 0

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Guide Curves MUST intersect the profiles or it will fail.
1707450303794.png

Try to create a plane that passes thru the chord line of the end profile then create the guide curves on that plane after projecting the profile as reference to the guide curve plane.
Or sketch the profiles so that the chord of each is bisected by the horizontal plane that the guide curves will be sketched on.

Ken226

Alibre Super User

Thanks for looking.

The appear to be connected in the top down view, but they aren't. At an angle, you can see the gap.

Regardless, I fixed this issue earlier by copying/pasting the sketch so it intersects, and it still resulted in an "invalid body".