What's new

Hole callout qtys 1 less than total

iwanttoslot

When I make a design with a hole in it then use the circular pattern tool every thing works great. the holes appear as they should.

When I make a drawing of this design the hole callout has 1 less number than the total number of holes.

what basic mistake am I making?

Malcolm

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The number in the callout comes from the number of nodes in the sketch which defines hole location. Using feature pattern to put extra holes in place will not change the callout number. Using sketch pattern in side the sketch should give correct number in callout. If that doesn't explain your issue, post an example file for us to examine.

iwanttoslot

I don't seem to be able to use sketch pattern on the node that positions the hole only feature pattern on the feature.

I have done a mock up and the one less than problem doesn't appear on it.

Attachments

• test callouut.AD_PRT
    359.5 KB · Views: 7
  • callout and pattern problem.AD_PRT
    482.5 KB · Views: 7

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I get around this by putting 1 hole feature in position for patterning and then then add the rest of the holes in empty space somewhere. Then I pattern the hole as required. This causes the callout to show the correct number of holes.

kev h

IMO something this basic shouldnt really need a work around should it?!?

Also i feel PCD of holes should get a call out too as the info is all there.

Cheers Kev 8)

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
No idea why the sketch pattern tool shouldn't work with nodes - but it doesn't want to play.

One workaround that isn't too muych extra work is to make use of the Polygon tool to position the extra nodes - see attached. Centre polygon at origin, having set appropriate number of sides and chosen radius to corner. Fix a corner at your first hole location. Convert the polygon into a reference figure, insert nodes at the other corners.

Attachments

• test%20callouut[1].AD_PRT
    366.5 KB · Views: 6
We have the same issue all the time. It is a pain when you forget and array something, then the hole count is off in the drawing.

What we have done to avoid this issue is to NEVER array a hole after it has been applied to the part. Instead we array the sketch of the hole, this allows the count to show correctly in the drawing. I did post about this a while back and nobody had an answer for me either. It is very basic functionality that should not need a work around. I totally agree.

Just remember to array the sketch of the hole and you will be just fine. Because the other quirk in Alibre is that if you modify the hole count in the drawing hole callout and then modify the part in any way the count defaults to the original count (which was wrong to start with). This is also a ridiculous thing to have to work around.

Luckily for us each version of Alibre gets rid of some of those annoyances. :)