What's new

Hole size problem

Maavhamt

I am working on a simple perforated disc. I want the holes to be 3mm diameter but if the holes are bigger than 2.96mm the disc stops behaving like a solid.
upload_2018-12-14_12-0-35.png
Hole size 2.96 mm
upload_2018-12-14_12-1-33.png
Hole size 2.97 mm

Any ideas how to have 3mm diameter holes?

Attachments

• 54mm filter plate 3 dia space 5.AD_PRT
    2 MB · Views: 3

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello @Maavhamt,

i' changed the diameter to 3mm, updated and it behaves the same as you described.
Then i dragged the bone back over the pattern, opened the feature to edit and left the pattern window with "cancel"
Hm, then the plate looks solid with all the hole in ...
No real explanation for that, maybe the holes wich are close to the circle edge cause the problem
upload_2018-12-14_14-6-40.png
first try 3mm

upload_2018-12-14_14-8-22.png
second attempt

Regards
Stefan

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It's a rendering issue - changing facet resolution fixes it (at least for the rest of the session). Changes planned for v2019 should see big improvements to rendering.

Maavhamt

Sorry, what is the facet resolution? is that something a user can change? Strangely I've found changing the hole pattern also solves it.

Attachments

• 54mm filter plate 3 dia space 5.AD_PRT
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Gem -> Properties -> Display -> Render Quality (facet resolution) move the slider.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello DavidJ,

my facet resolution is on 'fine' and i'm getting the same behavior.
Changing the plate diameter from 54mm to 54.1mm also produces a solid look.
It seems the same thing happens with different functions ...(a matter of mathematical accuracy? floating point?)

Regards
Stefan

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Often changing facet resolution will fix the display. Sometimes permanently, but sometimes it only remains fixed for the current session & you'll have to change again next time. It seems to be the change, not the specific setting that is important. I'm honestly not sure what the underlying reason is...

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Could just be another 'zero thickness' scenario. Try making your circle diameter 2.999 and see if that fixes it.