What's new

holes on circumference of a cylinder

Jasper

I have modeled a hollow cylinder and I need to reduce its weight by putting holes in its circumference, essentially making a perforated tube.
What is the best/easiest way to achieve this? The feature pattern tool doesn't seem to support cylinders. Creating lots of tangent planes for sketched holes seems very tedious.

Thanks,
PJ

JST

Alibre Super User
Tangent planes is what I do. But I usually only want a couple holes, not a lot of them.

Remember, each plane can make two sets of holes diametrically opposite.

PJ -- Besides making a Radial Copy of your initial (Tangent Plane defined) Hole You can make a SheetMetal Cylinder out of Perforated stock (something I regularly do to make pyro ignition devices). Alternatively I often create two or three Radial Copy Patterns that can then be Linearly Copied down the length of a Cylindrical Tube.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I have modeled a hollow cylinder and I need to reduce its weight by putting holes in its circumference, essentially making a perforated tube.
What is the best/easiest way to achieve this? The feature pattern tool doesn't seem to support cylinders. Creating lots of tangent planes for sketched holes seems very tedious.

Thanks,
PJ
Radial pattern, like Lew says.