What's new

Home Window 2018

JST

Alibre Super User
You probably HAVE TO make this sort of change, or the program becomes viewed as "tired", and "old".

It's always a nuisance, when every icon and command location is changed, and it all has to be re-learned. It's a serious productivity hit that lasts for a while. But I DO understand the need to do it. And the need to at least pay SOME attention to the "latest trends in program appearance".

The recent tendency in laying out the screens has been to DELETE as much useful capability as possible, hiding all that in menus, drop downs , and pop-ups, apparently to reduce the "scary complicated screens" so that people are not frightened away. I hope this will not be done too much, as I think with a technical program, that is less of an issue, function needs NOT to be compromised for appearance. Leave that to MS Word, and the "consumer oriented" programs.

Whatever you do, DO NOT remove the menu option. I find the menus MUCH more productive than using the ribbon. I like to know exactly where to go for a command, and do not find it helpful when programs with the "ribbon" try to "help".

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
One concern of mine is loading time with those fancy recent thumbnails. Make sure they don't slow down opening files from WFS or M-Files with Alibre initially closed. Especially when the recent files are hosted remotely, or not found. I'd suggest bypassing it when opening files started externally, quick time outs, or store thumbnails / file info temporarily in the program's folder.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
It's always a nuisance, when every icon and command location is changed, and it all has to be re-learned.

o_O

Its the home page. It has an added widget for global parameters (thanks for that, I asked for it several times) but the rest is not that different.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
One concern of mine is loading time with those fancy recent thumbnails. Make sure they don't slow down opening files from WFS or M-Files with Alibre initially closed. Especially when the recent files are hosted remotely, or not found. I'd suggest bypassing it when opening files started externally, quick time outs, or store thumbnails / file info temporarily in the program's folder.
I use the icons in WFS (either large or extra large) and that works fine. I doubt that this will be any different.

Dave H

I think the "Create New" icons look rather "cartoon-ish."
The idea for "Recent Files" icons is great!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
There will be no menu on the Home Window, but the menus in the workspaces will still be there (if you enable them).

All the other program icons are the same as they used to be, in the same place.

We'll probably keep these icons for now. We can't work under the constraint of "don't use blue, or gray, or black (our colors), or non-realistic icons, etc." :) But feedback noted, we might modify slightly.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I'd seriously look at making the icons more detailed to showcase what the program can do. No offense to their creator but right now they look cartoonish. Not exactly what you want from professional 3d parametric cad.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I think the addition of the Recent Files is a great idea. The launch icons seem to have lost their luster though. That said I don't think it will make Alibre unusable, just different.

I particularly miss the 3d look in Windows in general. When MS went to the flat look it took something away, too bad we can't get it back.

bigseb

Alibre Super User

I like the old icons. Nothing wrong with them. But O like news ones too. And since this looks to be a HUGE upgrade that includes the kernel I would prefer to inject some 2018 into the looks. :cool:

Anyone that says different is just old... ;)

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I think the window looks a little too flat! (and I know that's the intention with Win10), but, for me, it just lacks that creative sparkle! I guess that's why windows phones never really took off and why I hate the look and feel of Win10!
I do like the current rendered icons (although the sheet metal one looks too much like a soild!)
I notice Solidworks is similar, but with text to enhance the icons ... guess that adds the extra locale text string handling in the equation though!
Love the recent quick access pane.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Don't worry - the other tabs (Explore, Utilities) for the new home window give access to things like that.