What's new

How can I make this look right...

jhiker

Alibre Super User
I wonder how I can do this...
So far I haven't had any bright ideas :( .
The coiled capillary in this first picture is actually sheathed in Anaconda SS flexible hose. It's made of interlocked pieces but I'm at a loss as to how to construct it in Alibre so it looks a little more realistic when rendered. If you could do a helical cut along a 3D line that might do it but not possible yet, I think.
Any ideas - I'm prepared to 'bodge it' to some extend so the rendered picture looks acceptable.

Attachments

• Anaconda#3.jpg
    Anaconda#3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Anaconda_flex.jpg
    Anaconda_flex.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Anaconda#2.jpg
    Anaconda#2.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 106

neilr

My only idea would be to make a single section, a ring and patern it linier and then potation for the turns. I know it would not be a nice spiral but I think it would look good and you may be able to make the part so it looks like a spiral when patterned....fax spiral...

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
You could make the hose out of sections like in this post. It can be moved to look more natural and then have a ribbed texture applied to each one in your renderer of choice.
I'd leave off the internal hole if it is not needed for the view. Also I would position the circle [added] further from the origin. [/added]
Obviously the texture looks wider on one side and thinner on the other and doesn't actually coil around in a spiral but to a casual observer I don't think it will matter.

https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/i...e-rope-going-around-a-pulley.7244/#post-38429

Attachments

• untitled.397.jpg
    untitled.397.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 88
  • untitled.398.jpg
    untitled.398.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Jeff,

Please take a look.
Is it OK, send me your "pipe" and then I have the dimensions to create the " flexible hose".
10 minutes...

Attachments

• startup.222.jpg
    startup.222.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 243

jhiker

Alibre Super User
ralf3 said:
Hi Jeff,

Please take a look.
Is it OK, send me your "pipe" and then I have the dimensions to create the " flexible hose".
10 minutes...

Ralf - How the hell did you do that? I'll send the pipe later today - thanks.
Thanks guys - some good suggestions....

AV8RSOL

ralf3 said:
Hi Jeff,

Please take a look.
10 minutes...
Please share with us how you did it. :|

rhjiv

has RALF shared this beautiful trick with us :D
having the same issue with corrugated pipe

Thinking it should be done in sections but...

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
has RALF shared this beautiful trick with us :D
having the same issue with corrugated pipe

Thinking it should be done in sections but...

From the posted image it appears to be done in KeyShot but without a confirmation I'm guessing. IF it was done in Alibre the technique/method would be nice to know to help out the Alibre users community and not keep secrets.

Just sayin'.

jhiker

Alibre Super User
Bear in mind this post is over 11 yrs old. I think Ralf did it in Moi3D and kindly sent me a STP file.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
OK, As long as you got a solution to your design. It looked like a KeyShot render using a bump map to me. It would be nice to be able to create those kind of features in Alibre without needing some 3rd party program to come to its aid. Some sort of a helical spiral or twist around the path is what is needed. ( I recall SolidWorks having that as an option.)

AlexB

This won't be perfectly accurate, but I 'fake it' by patterning one-turn helical cuts about the turn axis (only possible if it's radial) of the sweep. Keyshot does a pretty good job at covering the disjoints and seams: -

Attachments

• qic.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 28