What's new

How do I create a Storage Box Assembly??

w3Leon

Hello All. I’m a new user of Alibre Design and I want to create a wooden storage box for the Tormach Granite Surface Block. I’ve already created the 3D model of the granite block and now I need to start creating all the sides of the storage box. I’ve tried creating a new assembly, then I bring in the granite block part, then I create a sketch for one side of the box, but when I exit the sketch there are no choices for extruding that box side sketch. I have several storage boxes that I want to build, so I need to learn a good smart, correct method of creating a storage box in Alibre. Can anyone offer some advice or creation method? I’m using Alibre Design V26.

Thanks,
Walt

Attachments

• Storage Box Question 23-Dec-22.jpg
    Storage Box Question 23-Dec-22.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 20

Max

Administrator
Staff member
You will notice that you are in an assembly. What you are creating is an assembly sketch. Assembly sketches are owned by the top level assembly and have limited uses, compared to sketches in parts.

Instead, Select the New Part icon. This creates an additional part in the assembly and enters you "part mode" automatically. There, you see all the familiar tools like Extrude, Revolve, etc. Make your sketch there instead, and use whatever features you like.

Now, you need to exit part mode and go back to the assembly. Do this by right-clicking the top-most node in the Explorer, which is the assembly node. Select Edit Part/Subassembly. You'll notice the ribbon changes and you see assembly-related stuff.

Using this right-click method you can open and edit various parts, subassemblies, or the root assembly as you like. You will notice that the right-click method provides 2 options (on nodes that aren't the root assembly): Edit Here and Edit in Separate Window.

Edit Here opens the part context but keeps all the other parts of the assembly in the view. This approach can be useful with small assemblies or when you need to edit parts that are referencing other parts. Edit in Separate Window opens a new window with just the part you are modifying. This approach is useful with assemblies that have more parts, and thus a higher chance of parts being in the way of the part you're trying to modify.

If you use "Edit in Separate Window", to leave the editing session just close the new window that pops up and you'll see your changes are now reflected in your assembly.

concept

Do this by right-clicking the top-most node in the Explorer, which is the assembly node. Select Edit Part/Subassembly. You'll notice the ribbon changes and you see assembly-related stuff.
The first time I created a new part or modified an existing part within the assembly, I had assumed that right-clicking in the scene would show an option for going back to the assembly and exiting the part creation/modification scene. It took me a while to find out what you describe above.

w3Leon

You will notice that you are in an assembly. What you are creating is an assembly sketch. Assembly sketches are owned by the top level assembly and have limited uses, compared to sketches in parts.

Instead, Select the New Part icon. This creates an additional part in the assembly and enters you "part mode" automatically. There, you see all the familiar tools like Extrude, Revolve, etc. Make your sketch there instead, and use whatever features you like.

Now, you need to exit part mode and go back to the assembly. Do this by right-clicking the top-most node in the Explorer, which is the assembly node. Select Edit Part/Subassembly. You'll notice the ribbon changes and you see assembly-related stuff.

Using this right-click method you can open and edit various parts, subassemblies, or the root assembly as you like. You will notice that the right-click method provides 2 options (on nodes that aren't the root assembly): Edit Here and Edit in Separate Window.

Edit Here opens the part context but keeps all the other parts of the assembly in the view. This approach can be useful with small assemblies or when you need to edit parts that are referencing other parts. Edit in Separate Window opens a new window with just the part you are modifying. This approach is useful with assemblies that have more parts, and thus a higher chance of parts being in the way of the part you're trying to modify.

If you use "Edit in Separate Window", to leave the editing session just close the new window that pops up and you'll see your changes are now reflected in your assembly.
WONDERFUL!!!!! Thanks so much for the really good details and explanations. I followed your advice and worked on the assembly this morning and I created a Left Side Panel and a Lower Panel (see attached screen capture). Theses two new Parts are just for learning at this time, I'll create better new parts later. This was such a good help, thanks again, Walt.

Attachments

• Storage Box Question Follow-up 24-Dec-22.jpg
    Storage Box Question Follow-up 24-Dec-22.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 22

Max

Administrator
Staff member
WONDERFUL!!!!! Thanks so much for the really good details and explanations. I followed your advice and worked on the assembly this morning and I created a Left Side Panel and a Lower Panel (see attached screen capture). Theses two new Parts are just for learning at this time, I'll create better new parts later. This was such a good help, thanks again, Walt.
Any time, Walt. Welcome to Alibre Design :D