What's new

How do I create this type of constraint

w3Leon

Hello All,
I received a STEP file from a person that wants it cut on my laser cutter. When I opened the file in my Alibre Design v26 it is full constrained with small "line/arrow" constraints (see attached file). With luck, I will be making more parts with this type of interlocking fingers and I would like to use this same constraint on those future designs. Does anyone have any good clear instructions on how to create this type of constraint, please?
Thank,
Walt

Attachments

• Question about Constraint type.pdf
    189.3 KB · Views: 25

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It means that project to sketch was used with 'maintain association' checked. That doesn't quite make sense if the file truly was a STEP file ( also you image doesn't show any imported STEP file....).

Some information appears to be missing.

w3Leon

It means that project to sketch was used with 'maintain association' checked. That doesn't quite make sense if the file truly was a STEP file ( also you image doesn't show any imported STEP file....).

Some information appears to be missing.
Hi David,

Thanks for the advice about “Maintain Association” and I did not select that for this next experiment. I think I found a method that might work for future design needs. (see screen capture) FYI...the STEP file model is Suppressed. What I did was: 1-Create a sketch, 2- Project the face of the STEP model into the sketch, 3-Use Ctrl-A to capture everything, 4-Then select the LOCK icon (Fixed Constraint), 5-I removed the Locked constraint from the sides that will be manipulated for future jigs, 6-Save the file as a template. It appears this method will prevent the finger joint interfaces from being affected and they will be consistent over time.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-08 122839.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-08 122839.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 16

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
STEP file should still show in explorer even if suppressed. You still appear to be omitting something. We can be more helpful if you provide full details.