What's new

How do I get rid of this error?...

dwc

Alibre Super User
I changed the name of a directory and am now getting an error when opening an assembly in that directory.
AD opens a Message window with:
"Messages
Error - Failed loading file -D /Documents/......."
(very helpfully it is not possible to copy the error message. Who programmed that?)

If I say OK, the assembly completes loading without error.
The file mentioned is not among the files in the constituents list.
For only this file AD is apparently trying to load twice, from both the old and the new directory name.
I have tried saving again, but this didn't help matters.

How can I clean this up?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Did you change the directory name in windows explorer or did you save the top level assembly and rename the file paths in Alibre?

If you did the former, then that breaks the file paths stored inside the part and assembly files! That's why you have to use Save As, so Alibre internally corrects the file paths!

dwc

Alibre Super User
The .ASM file is corrupted.
When I open it with notepad I see that one part is loaded twice, once with the wrong directory name and an old part version, once with the correct directory name and part version.
All the other parts are OK, as is the assembly.
It looks to me like a part replacement went haywire at some point (2 versions ago of the part), but that I am only now seeing it after changing the directory.
How can I bring this back in order ?
As I see it i just need to remove one line in the .ASM file.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you know exactly what you are doing - don't play around inside the file. I'm pretty sure there is a checksum, so deleting a line will really mess things up.

dwc

Alibre Super User
Unless you know exactly what you are doing - don't play around inside the file. I'm pretty sure there is a checksum, so deleting a line will really mess things up.
I already tried, but it doesn't even try to load, there is certainly a checksum or similar.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The file does hold some history, so what you are seeing may not be sinister per se.

Could you change the directory name back (temporarily), verify the assembly will open. Then Save All As to a new directory elsewhere.

Change your original directory back again, and delete the Alibre files there associated with the assembly. Finally from the assembly that you earlier Saved All As, repeat to Save All As back to the newely re-named directory.

Prove the assembly opens, then delete the new directory that was used as the intermediate location.

dwc

Alibre Super User
No luck, after all that I still get the same error.
.... i have another idea ....

dwc

Alibre Super User
Went back to the old directory name, file loaded OK.
Renamed the offending old part version, I would expect that AD asks me for the location of the file when loading.
AD opens this error window instead.

I am at a loss as I have used that method to update parts versions in an assembly often.

dwc

Alibre Super User
I did some major work in the old directory that meant changes in several parts.
After that a save to the new directory worked.
AD apparently needed a reason to change things in the file.
All OK, thanks for the helpful ideas.

dwc

Alibre Super User
Oops, I hadn't deleted the original directory. Now that I have restored the state I want completely, without the original directory, I have the error again.
"Save all as" has been used multiple times now and apparently does not flush unused entries in the .ASM file.
I'm going to contact support.