What's new

How do I project a tracing image onto a part surface?

tgold

I've spent an hour looking for a description of how to do this.
I have the tracing image inserted in my model but I don't know how (or if) I can actually use it to do an extruded cut into the part.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Timm1651872987192.png

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I have the tracing image inserted in my model but I don't know how (or if) I can actually use it to do an extruded cut into the part.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

TimmView attachment 35979

After inserting the tracing image, did you use the sketch tools to trace it?

It looks like you inserted the image, and are hoping to be able to extrude the image itself. If that's what your trying, it won't work. You'll have to go over the image lines with the CAD programs own line, arc, circle, rectangle, spline etc, sketch tools and create closed sketch figures that can be extruded.

After you've traced out the closed loop sketch figures, you can delete the tracing image.

Unfortunately, it's a bit of work. There's no "easy button" for it in any of the CAD programs I've used.

A .jpg image is composed of lots of colored pixels that give the appearance of lines, but there aren't any actual lines in the image for the CAD software to use. You will need to use the CAD sketch tools to overlay actual lines that have both magnitude and vector.

The first couple minutes of this video will demo how it works.

Last edited:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
The key word here is TRACE. The image is used as reference for you to manually TRACE features of that image using sketches. Then use the sketches to create boss/cut features in the normal way.

Edge detection and auto creation of sketches from an image would be really nice, but sadly, that's not available.

If you want those TRACED shetches to wrap around a non planar surfaces ... then you need to wait for v25, which then will allow you to wrap and project in more advanced ways.