What's new

How do you dimension a drawing?

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Do you click the dimensioning button first and then move to the drawing view or do you click the drawing view first and then the button?

My question is because I select the view and then the button, which restricts me to the selected view but if I click the button first then each view highlights as I move over it.

I was going to ask that dimensioning be added to the pop menu as I couldn't understand why it was missing.
1709688328734.png

I just checked my printed manual and it says to click the dimensioning button first and then move to the drawing view.
Seems I have a holdover habit from my earlier program which was more select the item and do this function to it while Alibre is more I want to do this function to that item.
My first few weeks with Alibre were so frustrating as everything seemed to be backwards in procedure to what I was used to.

I would still like dimensioning added though.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I use both paths depending on what I need to do. I think that selecting the view first enters a sketch like mode on that view. Sometimes views overlap and it's the best way to stay dimensioning in that view.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Do you click the dimensioning button first and then move to the drawing view or do you click the drawing view first and then the button?
I click the dimension button first then move to the drawing. That gives me the freedom to move from view to view without having to activate sketch in view to detail each view.

I think there may have been some enhancement done to the drawings a few versions ago. I seem to recall that when adding local notes to a view you had to activate sketch-in-view first then add the note. I just checked and it seems that you can place a note on the drawing sheet then move it to a view and it is added to that view.