What's new

How do you guys sketch a full radius in a slot??

kev h

Hi

Could be a "Doh" question but....

In my cadcam prog to do a full rad in a slot there is a function for rad from 3 faces (2D), in alibre i have been creating a circle then constraining tangentionally then trimming.

Would this be the normal method in AD or am i missing something??

Cheers Kev :cool:

indesign

Alibre Super User
Several ways but none that simple. Tangent radius then trimming tangent. 2D fillet and then move length. Use the obround tool with preset zero or move after.

kong009

In one of the tutorials, I believe the SheetMetal tutorial, they use line -> circular arc -> line -> circular arc in that order, then dimension the slot how you want it. I normally don't use this method, though..

denisgb2

I am usually recreating a part from a customer's drawing, so depending on how the slot is dimensioned on their drawing governs how I sketch the slot.

I usually start with the rectangle sketch tool, constrain with the two side dimensions, and then use the circular arc tool, center start end, if the dimensions are from the centerlines of the half circles, or I use the 2D fillet tool set at half the slot width if the customer's drawing shows the overall slot dimension. Delete any unnecessary geometry, and replace any lost constraints, as required.

kong009

denisgb2 said:
I am usually recreating a part from a customer's drawing, so depending on how the slot is dimensioned on their drawing governs how I sketch the slot.

I usually start with the rectangle sketch tool, constrain with the two side dimensions, and then use the circular arc tool, center start end, if the dimensions are from the centerlines of the half circles, or I use the 2D fillet tool set at half the slot width if the customer's drawing shows the overall slot dimension. Delete any unnecessary geometry, and replace any lost constraints, as required.
My only concern about using 2D fillets though is how inconsistent they are. Sometimes you can fillet the four corners of a rectangle and only 2 or 3 are the size you intended them to be.

denisgb2

Good point kong, as I have run into that in the past. I haven't run into the problem in a while, though. In this case we are are working on a slot with a full half circle at the end, and it will be easy to spot a different radius, if Alibre decides to take liberties. Filleting in this manner also sometimes cause a sketch error, disjointed ends I believe, and it will show up when you go to create the actual boss or cut feature. It is a simple fix and this method works reasonably well.

Just adding to the suggestions...

ASP

to sketch a slot with full radius I use most of the time the shape tool

Attachments

• obround.jpg
    obround.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 51

kev h

Hi Guys

Thanks for all replies have played a bit with Circular arc Tangent- start , finish and lines seems to work pretty well and seems pretty flexible too.

Cheers Kev 8)