What's new

How do you insert a custom symbol?

barrykingwill

How do you insert a custom symbol?

I must be missing the obvious, but I don't see any "Insert Custom Symbol" in the Sketch Menu, while in Drawing workspace.

FROM HELP
Inserting a standard or custom symbol
You can insert any standard symbol or block into a drawing. You can also create custom symbols and insert them.

To choose and insert a symbol
In a drawing workspace, select Insert Custom Symbol from the Sketch menu. The Choose Symbol to Insert dialog box appears.

Locate the appropriate symbol. Standard symbols are stored in the System repository.

cclark440

Alibre Super User

It is there. It is located at the bottom of the Sketch menu. But for that menu item to be available you have to activate sketch on sheet first.

barrykingwill

I see " Insert" on the Sketch menu, but there is not "Custom Symbol, under Insert.

I also see "Create Custom Symbol", but not "Insert Custom Symbol"

Just to show that I am not imagining things I have included a screen capture of my Sketch Menu in the binaries (how I wish one could attach files here)

siggy

This will apparently only work if you are in the "Sketch on Sheet" mode and not in the "Sketch in View" mode. I just tried it and here's what I had to do:

1. Open a 2D drawing
2. Right click somewhere on the sheet and select "Activate Sketch on Sheet"
3. Go to the Sketch -> Insert Custom Symbol (or do a Ctrl-I)

schenman

The "Insert Custom Symbol" works ONLY in the "2D Drawing session" and NOT the "3D Part session". You can create a custom symbol in "3D part session" though and then insert in the 2D drawing .

Schenman