What's new

How do you use script?

beastro

Hi,

This might sound like a silly question, so forgive me please ..

I am wondering how the scripting feature/interface is used by you? Do you use it to substitute recurring tasks, or new part generation etc.?

I am asking, because I am still not sure what it can do for me, or when/wehther it would be useful to dig into its features.

Thanks

I am wondering how the scripting feature/interface is used by you? Do you use it to substitute recurring tasks, or new part generation etc.?
Hi Berthold -- I use Alibre Script (mostly) to generate different Library Part files such as (for example) all "standard lengths" of a given Screw by Major Diamter X Threads per Inch and Length. I have yet to use it this way, but I am considering how to apply it to (say) Pneumatic and Hydraulic Cylinders to account for different (standard) Stroke Lengths. My "caution" here is that, from a Project point of view, I need to properly identify the (purchased) Component and store it within the context of the Project to maintain a proper Parts List. -- Lew

Hunter

To do tedious tasks, like creating a stub shaft with a keyway. The keyway dimensions are according to BS 4235 and automatically selected by the script based on the shaft diameter.
upload_2020-4-20_13-45-3.png

Result (I still need to add an option to fillet the corners):
upload_2020-4-20_13-45-26.png

idslk

Alibre Super User
Result (I still need to add an option to fillet the corners):
may some infos of a search (keyway) in the forum can help...
I am wondering how the scripting feature/interface is used by you?
If you take some time and search for skripts, you will see that there are a lot of different purposes for what scripts are used be the forum members.
From my side it helps me doing "calculations" and creating the resulting geometry for me.

Regards
Stefan

Hi Stefan -- I would like to "suggest" that you start a (if you will) "Neat Trick with Alibre Script" document and send it regularly (as stuff is added) to Andy. Sharing our understandings and "lessons learned" is a great builder! -- Lew

albie0803

Alibre Super User
One of the things I have scripted is a shaft generator, using excel. I enter diameters and lengths in excel and then run the script, which generates a half outline which I then rotate to create the shaft. I also have another one that reads different columns in excel to do a revolve cut if the shaft is hollow.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
You can do anything from simple sketches all the way to generating entire assemblies.

I'm working on an extrusion / weldment Frame Builder tool. I'm testing with the new Alibre V21 and I will be releasing a public beta very soon

Here a few of the other bigger scripts / tools I have written:
Script Release: Fast Select for Assemblies
Script Release: Total Cost Center
Script Release: Isolate
Script Release: Project Links
Script Release: Assembly Tree
<Edit>
Here is one more I just finished:
Script Release: STL Import
</Edit>
There are more scripts on the Alibre Design; Support Center - Alibre Script Examples page.

There are also many other scripts posted in this forum by myself and others. Do a search and ask if you can't find what you are looking for or need help creating one.

Last edited: